Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonNH

NX102 connection to robot via ARCL

6 posts in this topic

Throwing this out to see if anyone here has some insight:

I'm trying to connect an NX102 to an Omron (used to be Adept) LD250 mobile robot via their ARCL language.

I have a network connection to the NX102 and a wireless network connection to the robot. These two should be able to pass 

commands/info to each other via the ARCL interface.

I can access the ARCL server on the robot via the MobilePlanner software, but the function block they supply for connecting from

the PLC to the ARCL server just hangs - no error message, etc.

I should also be able to connect via Telnet from my computer, but that fails.= -- here's what I get when I try:

C:\Users\pb00275>Telnet 10.201.70.155 7171
                Connecting To 10.201.70.155...Could not open connection to the host, on port 7171: Connect failed

I don't know what's different between the robot's main connection and connecting to the ARCL server within the robot.

I'm waiting for more responses from my Omron contacts, but haven't gotten a lot of direction from them, so I thought I'd cast the net a bit wider.

The robot is communicating over wifi, the PLC is wired, are you sure the Wi-Fi IP address is in the same range as the ones on the controller and laptop?

According to our IT guy, the networks should be able to see each other. Also, I can connect from my computer to the robot itself over the wifi connection, but that would be the same IP as the ARCL connection, which won't connect via Telnet from my computer.

Maybe there's something in our firewall which is allowing one type of connection but not the other? I'll have to check with IT.

I want to also try PuTTy in place of Telnet, but I can't get it to install.

I"m not sure if I've made any progress here or not -- 

Today out of the blue I was able to connect to the ARCL server from my laptop via telnet.

At the time I was wired to the maintenance port (ethernet), but was probably connecting to the ARCL server via the wireless connection.

I disconnected the wire, and was still able to connect. I then reset my wired connection to our network and disabled the wireless connection, and was still able to connect to the ARCL server.

I then tried to connect the PLC to the robot, but no luck.

After that, I couldn't reconnect my PC to the ARCL server over telnet no matter what I tried.

Later in the day I tried again and my laptop connected to the ARCL server again (probably via wi-fi, but I think I had my hard wire connection active also), but shortly thereafter lost the connection and I haven't been able to connect again.

My IT guy doesn't see anything from the network end which he thinks will cause that.

Sounds like the kind of thing that happens when IP addresses collide but the devices involved are too old and stupid to throw an error.  (ARP poisoning, if you want to suggest something for IT to check.)

OK, stupid error on my part has muddled this quite a bit . . .

Just realized that most (probably all) the times I failed using telnet and ping from a command prompt, I was typing in the wrong IP address - actually ends in 115, not 155.

I thought I had it clear in my mind so I didn't even question myself until I recited the address to our IT guy as he was trying to ping, then he came back and said "that's not the address you gave me before"

Anyway, looks like our network is doing what it should, but I still can't get the function block to connect.

Omron sales rep is stopping by this morning, maybe he can find the right person to help me with it.