DonNH

Ethernet connection to PLC

8 posts in this topic

OK, so I think I'm missing something basic again . . .

NX102 & NX1P2 controls.

I can do a direct connection via ethernet with either controller with a cable from my laptop with no problem.
Trying to connect to the NX102 through our network on port 2.
In settings, I"ve selected "Obtain from BOOTP server, and in Communications Setup selected "Ethernet Connection via a hub"
I've transferred that to the controller while directly connected, then tried going online again but get a communications error.

What else needs to be done?  Do I need to give it a default gateway? 
My desired IP address will eventually be 172.16.209.xxx and I'll wind up making that a fixed address

Do I need to fill out a Host Name & IP address?

Our network guy is fairly new so we're learning this together.

He found a reference somewhere that there's a "Device IP Update Tool" that can be used to detect and update the IP address of Omron devices on the network. It says the tool can be downloaded from the Omron webite and installed locally on your computer. The tool scans the network for Omron devices and displays their IP addresses, including those obtained by DHCP.
I haven't been able to find this utility program - anyone know where it is?

ethernet settings.png

If the port is in BOOTP mode it won't have an IP initially so you can't connect to it with Sysmac. You can run a BOOTP utility to give it an address and then Sysmac should connect. If you want to browse your network for devices I would open the DirectEthernetUtility (C:\Program Files (x86)\OMRON\Communications Middleware) and then click on "Confirm the Network Connection Status" in blue at the bottom. You can browse with the direct ethernet connection method and any PLC should show up. I attached a program to assign a BOOTP address.

IPAssign_v1.1.3.exe

Alternatively, if I just have my IT person reserve an IP address with the PLC's MAC address, then connect the PLC to the system, would that work to connect the PLC, then set up Sysmac for that IP address?

That's basically what we've done with other devices, but generally the feedback is right there in front of you when that connection is made.

I was assuming the BOOTP option worked just like DHCP.

Edited by DonNH

1 hour ago, DonNH said:

I was assuming the BOOTP option worked just like DHCP.

DHCP is the successor technology to BOOTP,, and some DHCP servers can reply to the simpler BOOTP request format.  But the most common DHCP servers do not.

1 hour ago, DonNH said:

Alternatively, if I just have my IT person reserve an IP address with the PLC's MAC address, then connect the PLC to the system, would that work to connect the PLC, then set up Sysmac for that IP address?

That's what I would do if I really didn't want a static IP on my controller. I'm sure you have a reason to go this route..

We normally go with static IP addresses on peripherals, as we often have to hard code the IP addresses.

So we just tried this (reserving the IP address for that device) but it doesn't appear to be connecting to the network.

It seems like if the PLC is configured to attach to that IP address, and the address is reserved for that device. then it should connect when the PLC is connected and turned on, right?

I've got an email in to Omron to see what they think we're missing.

This is a new run of cable, so I guess we should also check the connections and switch gear.

1 hour ago, DonNH said:

then it should connect when the PLC is connected and turned on, right?

Only if your DHCP server understands/responds to BOOTP.

Since we weren't able to ping the PLC on the network, I moved the unit and pulled a data line from a robot which is currently hooked to the same VLAN that we'll be using for this system.

We set up our DHCP system to reserve the specific IP address for this PLC's MAC address, then reset the PLC's IP setting to "Obtain from BOOTP server".

Saved the config to the PLC, power cycled it and restarted the VLAN for good measure, and now we're communicating. Our DHCP server apparently works fine with the BOOTP protocol from the PLC.

So my main problem seems to be that the newly installed cable I was hooked to isn't connected and configured correctly on the network side. Our electrician checked the line itself, and it is fine back to the switch, so our IT group is looking from the switch back to try to figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for all the advice!

1 person likes this