pedrovg

Mitsubishi FR-A8NEIP-2P + FR-A820 + Beijer PLC

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am having issues with a VFD (Mitsubishi Fr-A820 000105E1N6) connected to an encoder module (FR A8AP) using an Ethernet communication module (FR A8NEIP-2P) and a Beijer PLC (XP 340).

I am trying to read some parameters of the VFD into the PLC. I have read the manual of the FR A8NEIP https://electrobit.ee/web/file_bank/Manuals/sagedusmuundurid/mitsubishi/fr-a800/FR-A8NEIP-2P-instruction-manual_ENG_ver_A.pdf and looked at the EDS file that they provide for this adapter: https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/v3/assets/blt5412ff9af9aef77f/blt98b128e5b778c5fc/617216fcacf2416aff234b4e/0ccef980-cece-11e3-bfec-0022195266d5_A8NEIP-2P.EDS .

We know what parameters we want to read (position pulses, current, voltage, frequency of the VFD and speed of the motor, for example). We know how to do this in the VFD monitor, but we need to do this from the PLC.

We have tried manipulating the EDS file of the A8NEIP_2P, but we were not successful. This is what we did:

- We took the EDS file provided by Mitsubishi, which can be found here: https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/v3/assets/blt5412ff9af9aef77f/blt98b128e5b778c5fc/617216fcacf2416aff234b4e/0ccef980-cece-11e3-bfec-0022195266d5_A8NEIP-2P.EDS

- We added new parameters, which we found on this EDS file: https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/v3/assets/blt5412ff9af9aef77f/bltecf3ab9888ddef30/61729cf30c7ad207787e4ee9/4fe316bc-684b-11ea-9f1a-b8ac6f83a177_a800_v11.zip (this is not for the A8NEIP, but we guessed that the link paths were the same) added to the assemblies and tried to connect. This was not succesful.

Note that we did not change the connection path in any case, we just added parameters to the connections (changing, of course, the allowed number of bytes to receive as an input and output).

We have been doing some reading and we think that this changed EDS file is not something we can manipulate ourselves, but something that Mitsubishi provides to us. Nevertheless, the parameters that HMS provided in both the guide and the EDS file seem too few (there is not option to monitor an arbitrary parameter of the VFD, which is exactly what we want).

I wanted to ask: is this a limitation of the board we are using? If it is not, how can we change our .EDS file to monitor any other parameter? How would the connection paths change with this?

If this is not an EDS file issue, what are we doing wrong?

EDS files document what is in the device.  Changing the EDS yourself doesn't magically make those parameters/assemblies/features exist in the device.  You even say:

1 hour ago, pedrovg said:

(this is not for the A8NEIP, but we guessed that the link paths were the same)

I don't see why you would guess this.  One product is from HMS Networks and the other is from Mitsubishi themselves.

The HMS device is exposing a set of parameters in CIP classes 0x29 and 0x2a that are well-defined in the CIP spec.  The Mitsubishi EDS documents many vendor-specific class object parameters that are not.  I suspect you will only succeed if you purchase the full-featured interface from Mitsubishi.

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, pturmel said:

EDS files document what is in the device.  Changing the EDS yourself doesn't magically make those parameters/assemblies/features exist in the device.  You even say:

I don't see why you would guess this.  One product is from HMS Networks and the other is from Mitsubishi themselves.

The HMS device is exposing a set of parameters in CIP classes 0x29 and 0x2a that are well-defined in the CIP spec.  The Mitsubishi EDS documents many vendor-specific class object parameters that are not.  I suspect you will only succeed if you purchase the full-featured interface from Mitsubishi.

Thank you very much for your response, really appreciate it. 

So, just to clarify: you would say we would need to replace the Ethernet IP card (from HMS, but sold by Mitsubishi) to have full capability? I understand what you say, but, doesn't it seem strange that Mitsubishi would sell us an ethernet card that doesn't allow us to access the rest of parameters? We can visualize them in their webpage interface, but the EDS file doesn't seem to have any of these parameters for communication with the PLC.

For context, we are academics trying to build a telescope. We are good in programming, but have no experience in control/plc/vfds at all. 

If we understand what you said, is there anything you would recommend us to do? What path to follow, any advice/recommendation? or any specific hardware you would buy?

Hi

Just to throw out an idea

What link time do you need. Can Modbus TCP an alternative? I know it is slower but it is built in to the firmware of the inverter. Use the built in ethernet port instead of the HMS option.

Attached you have some start help for Modbus TCP.

Some thing to consider.

Good luck :-)

Modbus inverter helper v1003.xlsx

1 minute ago, GreenMan said:

Hi

Just to throw out an idea

What link time do you need. Can Modbus TCP an alternative? I know it is slower but it is built in to the firmware of the inverter. Use the built in ethernet port instead of the HMS option.

Attached you have some start help for Modbus TCP.

Some thing to consider.

Good luck :-)

Modbus inverter helper v1003.xlsx

Hi, 

Thank you very much! I can only see a .xlsx attached, but no information on Modbus... Thanks!

Best regards!

4 minutes ago, pedrovg said:

Hi, 

Thank you very much! I can only see a .xlsx attached, but no information on Modbus... Thanks!

Best regards!

The excel doc contains paramerters and modbus addresses. Or is it empty when you open it?

Just now, GreenMan said:

The excel doc contains paramerters and modbus addresses. Or is it empty when you open it?

I am attaching all I see. 

Also, do you know about any guide/example of a program that does this? I have done a quick search but have not been succesful.

Thank you very much again and sorry for our little experience!

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 7.01.52 AM.png

5 minutes ago, pedrovg said:

I am attaching all I see. 

Also, do you know about any guide/example of a program that does this? I have done a quick search but have not been succesful.

Thank you very much again and sorry for our little experience!

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 7.01.52 AM.png

Thank you very much, will take a look at that!

12 minutes ago, pedrovg said:

Thank you very much, will take a look at that!

I have never worked with the XP340 PLC. This is to new. But I know that Beijer always focus om Modbus in there systems. Usally it is just some parameter settings and mapping.

Text from Beijer specs

https://www.beijerelectronics.no/nb-NO/Products/Control___systems/Compact___controller/BCS-XP340

Application layer MODBUS TCP Client and Server, MODBUS RTU Master/Slave, OPC DA Server, OPC UA Server, HTTP Server, BCS Tools programming protocol, SNTP Client, SNMP Agent (Ethernet Network Management)

Edited by GreenMan
More information