New Programmer

Reset timer when input is shut off

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I am no to programming.  I have a timer that counts up output from 0-12, the resets back to zero.  When I shut off the input, I want to reset counter to zero.

What would logic would I use for this?

Thanks

Doug

I have a timer that counts up output from 0-12, the resets back to zero.

Timer instructions time things; Counter instructions count things. Based on the wording of your question, I'm not sure if you're timing or counting. Either way...

A Timer On Delay (TON) instruction will time when the input logic to it is true. TON is not retentive, so it will reset itself when it's input logic is false.

A Count Up (CTU) instruction will count up one whole number (0 to 1, 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc) for each false to true transition of the logic to it. It is a retentive instruction, which means it will hold the accumulated value until it's associated Reset (RES) instruction is set.

PS. If this is a homework question you might consider watching some YouTube videos on @TimWilborne's channel.

1 person likes this

I second @TimWilborne's material and also suggest Ron Beaufort:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGzS56y9k4eYr1uS3jPPxGunBTtPcS3Ez
He's since retired, but that playlist is another good place to start.

Also, AB's online help is actually not bad (in RSLogix5,500,5000 and Logix Designer, at least). It's not perfectly perfect, but it's better than the others I've tried. Highlight the instruction and hit "F1" to go right to the help for it.