robror_

Graphics not displaying in HMI simulation

7 posts in this topic

Hi there!

This is my first time using Rockwell automation software and I have some questions I can't answer.

When I'm running the FactoryTalk runtime application with a simulated controller, I get disconnected from Logix Designer, so I can't online watch the program. If I try to simulate using 'Test Application' in FactoryTalk View Studio, it appears to communicate, but buttons don't make any effect when pressed.

Hope you can throw some light on it!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by robror_

You're using and getting disconnected from a Logix Emulator? And you get kicked when running the FactoryTalk project? What versions of Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk Studio are you using, and does this also happen when testing individual displays? When you get booted offline from the controller, are you able to go back online while running/testing the FactoryTalk project?

As for the buttons in FactoryTalk, are you using ME or SE? I'm assuming ME since you mentioned Test Application instead of launching a client. If ME, when you set up your communications, did you remember to set up the separate Runtime path to the controller? If you set up a Design path, your buttons and other interactive objects will work when Test Display is used, but they will not work when you Test Application without a valid Runtime path. 

I get 'kicked' from Logix Designer online mode when running the runtime application. It seems that only GoTo Display buttons are affected when I'm using the Test Application mode (I tried with a simple test project and everything seems to be fine except that). No, when I get booted offline in Logix Designer I have to reboot the PC (VM) in order to go back online.

I had a different issue before (I couldn't event communicate in any mode) and I solved it copying the Design path to Runtime path using the 'Copy Design to Runtime' button in Communication Setup. So even with the same path on both sides I still get kicked from Logix Designer when running the application and still got the GoTo Display buttons in Test Application.

Studio5000 Ver. 32.00.00

FactoryTalk Studio Ver.12.00 patch 84

Edit: Now I see that RSLinx is missing in Design path, but it was there before, and It's running in the 0 slot in Logix Emulate.

emulate.jpg

design_path.jpg

runtime_path.jpg

Edited by robror_

Okay, nevermind, I just realised my mistake. I thoguht 'Test Display' button with the play icon did the same as 'Test Application' so I was unable to change the display as I asume Test Display only works with a single screen. With Test Application everything works with Logix Designer running too. Thanks for your time!:oops:

While I have very limited experience with them myself, I've noticed that a whole new layer of potential issues arise with the use of VMs. I try to avoid them when using Rockwell or other controls software though sometimes there's no choice, like when using legacy programming tools that aren't compliant with current versions of Windows. That shouldn't be the issue here but if you can run this outside of the VM, you might have better luck. Also, it might do to have someone who has more direct experience with VMs to jump and let us know if they've seen similar issues and possibly how to fix them.

You probably already know that the Go To Display buttons don't work when Test Display is used. If properly configured and you have selected a display to go to in a given button's properties (see attached .pdf), the buttons should work and navigate you to the desired display in Test Application.

On your paths, make sure that you click the Verify button after copying the Design path over to the Runtime. Then click OK to close it out. I've seen the path settings not stick when Verify wasn't clicked, or when someone X-ed out of the tab instead of clicking OK.

GoTo.pdf

4 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

issues arise with the use of VMs

I have exactly the opposite experience.  I've been running everything in Rockwell's integrator toolkit exclusively in VMs for the past ten years.  I move the VMs from system to system as I upgrade.  The underlying OS is far more capable than Windows for all kinds of networking, so it is a huge win on top of not having to do reinstalls all the time.

VMs are not the problem.

1 person likes this

I also have been using VMware Workstation for a number of years to run a Rockwell Integrator Toolkit. Agree with the comments above pturmel. It makes moving to a new workstation quick and easy. 

I also regularly used snapshots, and if a software install went bad, or only wanted to temporarily install for the day, or a bad month for Microsoft patches could roll back to a snapshot. But Rockwell changed the rules recently, FactoryTalk Activation in now checking for a snapshot restore and Code Meter invalidates the restored activation.   Watch out for that, either rehost Code Meter activations before restoring a snapshot and then re-activate, or call Tech Support, tell them the story and request them to reset the activation count

2 people like this