• Pipeline Automation
    • Process Industry Automation
    • Wastewater Automation
    • Entertainment Automation
    • Agriculture Automation
    • Medical Automation
    • Food Preparation Automation
    • Transportation Automation

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Ok, PLC's can be used for many different things. What do your programs control? Myself, mainly security systems in Federal, State, & County Jails, with some minor building automation. (Controlling lights, water valves, etc...)

Sorry! Couldn't help it. I personally have done at least one of the above projects. I'm sure I have left out categories others have done also.

Since i can't choose more then one.... Building Automation, Process Automation, Wastewater Automation, Potable Water (Drinking Water) Automaiton, Industrial Clean Water (ie Membranes, Reverse Osmosis, Demin Water, Softners, Filters etc) Entertainment Automation, includes Amusement Rides Food Preperation Processing Automation, Gas Plant Automaiton Defence, ..................the list goes on and on and on............. Never done or been involved with any jail security systems, although i did quote one once....

There is not that much to doing security systems... Just firing an output for 3 to 5 seconds.... Intercom systems are not that hard either. Again, just maintaining a bit to establish an audio path - the intercom system does the rest. What gets a little tricky, is door alarms. If the door opens, and the PLC doesn't power the lock. But, I have seen some prisons with some crazy stuff! I did one a few years back that was crazy! 13 different buildings, all with their own PLC, networked over Fiber optic ethernet, with 34 touch screens running RS View. Started out using Ingear OPC, but found out that Ingear works great, when you ask it to talk to a single PLC, just don't ask it to talk to multiple at the same time! Ended up switching to Kepware at the last minute! I swear by Kepware from here on out!