4 posts in this topic

Dear Colleagues,

I require some help with regards to setting up virtual machines,

We have some ControlLogix 1756 PLCs scattered around site running on different version (v20, v21 & v32). My company requires all software installations on company computers to go through IT. Installing all these versions on single PC is really a pain (going through IT)  for new hires and for new PCs. I am trying to suggest using virtual machines for each version that can be shared/distributed among the engineers and also to give engineers some autonomy in the VM environment. 

How do I go about this especially with respect to licensing without violating the terms of use both the operating system and the automation software? 

Purchase additional seats for each VM Image.

1 person likes this

When I've done this in the past we used the following approach.

1. Setup your FTAM Server on a system all BareMetal and VM Systems can reach.  Purchasing enough software licenses from RA for your Maximum Simultaneous Use Case.

2. Purchase your VM Building Software License {We used VMWARE Workstation} and build your Rockwell VM.  Note you can put V20, V21 & V32 on same VM}.  Don't foget you'll need to license each copy of windows when you clone a new copy of your base VM.

3, Purchase a licensed copy of VM Player for each end user and distribute the VM and player to their system.

Some additional advice..

1.  Make sure the VM hosting Systems have sufficient memory to support virtualization.  In your case I'd say 8GB each minimum.

2. Don't skimp on the Hard Drive speed either that houses the VM.  SSDs are wonderful for this type of approach.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, BobLfoot said:

When I've done this in the past we used the following approach.

1. Setup your FTAM Server on a system all BareMetal and VM Systems can reach.  Purchasing enough software licenses from RA for your Maximum Simultaneous Use Case.

2. Purchase your VM Building Software License {We used VMWARE Workstation} and build your Rockwell VM.  Note you can put V20, V21 & V32 on same VM}.  Don't foget you'll need to license each copy of windows when you clone a new copy of your base VM.

3, Purchase a licensed copy of VM Player for each end user and distribute the VM and player to their system.

Some additional advice..

1.  Make sure the VM hosting Systems have sufficient memory to support virtualization.  In your case I'd say 8GB each minimum.

2. Don't skimp on the Hard Drive speed either that houses the VM.  SSDs are wonderful for this type of approach.

Thank you very much. I will try this and let you know how it goes.