Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tom91_uk

Getting a decent specs - is it possible?

2 posts in this topic

Hi Gents,

Is it just me or it's generally that difficult to get the specifications in the industry?

I kind of smile at some emails nowadays but here are some fundamental specification issues which felt like I had to go through on many projects through clients client:

- New analogue/digital instruments installed with rated voltage of 110V AC while control is fully running at 24V DC

- Request to Install TIA portal V15 on Windows XP (as they had all their legacy code on) so the client could have every software on 1 PC (no VMs)

- Transfer signals from new PLC to the older PLC - no specifications on literally anything related to the requirements

- Travel 500 miles extra as customer wants an extra signals in the PLC (cuz he forgot to mention them on site)

Do you ever come across situations like this or am I simply over dramatic?

Welcome to the world of Automation @tom91_uk  .  In my 30+ years in industry I've worked both sides of the specification fence.  I've been the System Integrator complaining that the customer wants more bells and whistles without additional cost.  I've also been the Capital Project Manager that fumed why didn't we get our xyz component.  The Spec calls it out in 4 different places and they used an ABC component to save money.  Now we've got to either redo or bear the cost of stocking ABC.   The best thing I've found no matter what side I was on was to have a Functional System Description and a Purchase Specification.  And an agreement , IF it's in there it will be there.  IF it's not in there somebody will pay extra for it.