simonongsk

Omron NX Length Measurement with Encoder

4 posts in this topic

Hi:

I am planning to use NX with Encoder Card  couple with Omron Rotary Encoder for measuring product length. ( GX-EC0211 /EC0241) or may be (NX-EC0112, I read there is proble with this card , here https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/34896-problem-pulse-reading-with-fast-counter-card-in-nx2/ ), but whatever it is I need to know is there any specific Instruction in Sysmac Studio that is tailored for Fast Counter or Encoder (something Like PRV in CX Programmer or special function in CJ-CT021 where start/stop counter and changeable preset counter are available). 

The Length measurement is straight forward and is only a small part of the overall program.  Basically is Start ---> measure to length----> Cut --->Repeat again. 

I read through the Instruction Reference Manual and I am unable to find one.

Anyone have any idea or any sample program (Sysmac Studio only ) that I can refer to ? 

Thanks 

Did you run this function with NX and EC-xxx ?

I recommend making an axis of type Encoder Axis. Fill in the axis information then you can simply reference the axis position with typical comparison instructions

ex. if Target_Position > MC_Axis000.Act.Pos

Be prepared for this not to be as simple as you'd expect.  Take the example where your source stock is 10 meters long and you want 200 cm lengths cut from it.  Assume also that your stock is moving 2m/s.  And it takes 150 ms for you to sense and issue the cut command.  Your error is 300 mm or 30 cm.  Response time of electronics matters in moving situations is all I'm saying.  More than most people realize at first.