Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hapetter

Programming question

10 posts in this topic

Me again:) Ok now I have a small programming question: What I like to do is to move (or copy) a text to a variable, depending on the input (3-way switch). So I have 3 string variables witch holds a text, and depending on the input i want to move this text to another string variable. How can I do this? I have made a small suggestion, but this does not work.. I use the INT move instruction, but ofcourse I have strings not INT's .. But I dont have a String move instruction available as far as I can see. I use CME 5.0, and VersaMax PLC, using Ladder. Hope to get som hot tip from you folks.. Best Regards Hans

The MOVE instruction copies the bit pattern from the source to the destination. It is up to you to interpret what the bit pattern means.

hapetter You should post your quesitons on plcs.net, similar to this forum but people actually answer the questions you ask!

Steve answered this question, that doesn't count? People answer your question on mrplc.com if you ask the right questions in detail.

Hans, I think what you are looking for is an DATA INIT ASCII function, which I believe is only supported in a 90-70 CPU. This would copy ASCII to an %R register. "This function is supported by revision 4.0 or later 90-70 CPUs."

Hey chako, you shouldn't have to defend Steve for giving a useless answer to what he probably believed to be a stupid question in the first place; we all have bad days. The main thing is that Hap got is answer, right? All I am saying, is give peace a chance.

Hi folks I have found a solution:) I using the Array move byte function. PS! I use VersaMax plc and this does not support DATA INIT ASCII function... Hans

It looks like the answer came from here: http://gefanuc.bnsi.net/eforum/showthread....=&threadid=3802

I got hung up on the String vs INT aspect of the question. Russ, over at the GE Fanuc forum was sharp enough to identify the real question as being about indexed addressing. I'd have more respect for your criticism, guest, if you would register and identify yourself. Any jacka$$ can take anonymous potshots. I'm not calling you a jacka$$, just pointing out that you're exhibiting behavior that could lead a person to the conclusion that you are.

Calm down Steve, I wouldn't want you to have a stroke and die . We need people like you here.