Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest_Mike

Counting parts and showing Qty on a display

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a way to count parts as they are completed on a production line. My thought was to have an operator slide the part down a tube (at an angle) into a box. Each time a part goes by a sensor, reduce the count on a display by one. When the count is zero, I will sound a buzzer and the plc program will reset and wait for the operator to scan a barcode (to get Qty.) again. I've never done anything with displays other than using an E150 on a project. I would like to use a very cheap and simple display, maybe something from Omega? All I want is 3 digital characters. My questions are, how does a person interface a display with a PLC? Does anybody have recommendations on a display? Thanks! Mike

7-segment displays i've seen so far consume 4 plc outputs (transistor type) per digit. you simply write binary value to group of outputs (like 0010 to display 2 etc.). check IDEC products but i'm sure others will have similar products (Red Lion, Omega etc.)

You must take in consideration the display programming software cost, when choosing a display. The best one may appear the one you already have software for. By choosing a touchscreen or a display with integrated keypad, you can save on controls and probably end up with comparable cost versus the cheapest indication only choise. I am using the Aromat GT01/GT10 small touchscreen in my projects with Mitsubishi PLC. For indication only, the FX series has an applied instruction to control directly a matrix of 7-segment LED indicators. It occupies 7+(# of Digits) outputs of the PLC. Edited by Sergei Troizky

Which FX plc would you use to accomplish this? I've only used the relay outputs so far with projects. Along with the appropriate plc, is there a recommendation on a specific p.n. display from Red Lion, IDEC, or whoever? I don't really know what I'm looking at/for at this point. Still quite a bit to learn. Panic Mode, I like your idea. As above, do you have a specific PLC/display combo that would work? Thanks! Mike

see this topic http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic...t=0entry11542