Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
easychair

PLC controlling a PC

4 posts in this topic

Wow, this sounded easy at first but now I'm stumped... I have an Omron CQM1 and I want it to launch a program on a PC. I looked at the Omron ActiveX controls, but I'm short on both time & money. I'd prefer an I/O based solution over serial, etc. Does anyone know of a device that will accept a contact closure and launch a Windows program or keyboard macro? Thanks!

could you not just write a vb app and get it to run as a service waiting for something to happen on the serial port. Then use the service to call the app. another way is to get an internet KB or a usb mouse that has software that allows you to run programs from it you know what I mean like the quick launch stuff. open that puppy up and replace the button with a contact from the plc. wamo presto. done. Peace

Ta da!

Hmmm, that keyboard hack may have legs... If that doesn't work, I may try a VB app with the ActiveX controls... how easy is it to use those? Can I just edit its properties to watch a location in the PLC? Or is there more to it? Thanks!