del0422

1746-INT4 Programming

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.  I am a beginner in PLC programming. I have a project where it involves an SLC 5/02 CPU and a 1746-INT4 thermocouple input module. I want to create a simple program where i can read the temperature from a type J thermocouple and then display it on an HMI. I have tried to read the manual for it but since im a beginner it is hard for me to comprehend it. If you can give me an example of the programming then it will be easier for me to understand.

Thank you very much in advance.

I'm not a big fan of RTFM posts to questions like this but it really is just a matter of reading the manual. Config starts on Page 20 and they go through the steps you need to follow for configuring a channel.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um614_-en-p.pdf

Edited by Michael Lloyd

Sorry if i sounded like a "noob" to you experts, but i really am. I did not have any professional or basic training for this. Of course i have read the manual but its still hard for me to comprehend since the examples given were not a complete one for "noobs" like me. The fact that i asked for a sample program is quite understandable that i have less experience. I do not understand why i got the "read the manual" answer when i clearly stated on my post that i have read them. Well for you "Experts" its very clear and understandable. Would it hurt if you just give me an example? 

Dont reply if your not going to help. You are just being an *** displaying your "Expertise" to everyone. Your reply is useless

With an attitude like that you are not going to get many "experts" to help you, however, The configuration of the channels is done through Output words 0 to 3 and the values read back from Input words 0 to 3,

If the card resides in slot 3  then the configuration of channel 1 would be written to O:3.0 and the value read back from I:3.0 and the channel status can be read from I:3.4

I'm not sure how to explain it any easier.

Steve

Thank you for the help. This is much more informative and the kind of answers i was looking for.

I know i sounded rude verbally but i just stated my point. Im sorry for that. In my opinion there is no need to say "Read the F'ng Manual" because i have already said that i have done so. And i guess everyone who asks for help here have done so. They just happen to not understand it clearly like me. What i just need is guidance since i'm not experienced and did not have basic training knowledge. I am just trying to learn.

Most of us do not have sample programs for just one element.  The A-B/Rockwell manuals have SAMPLE CODE already there.  Your question, though it may be simple to you, the answer is complex.  1...programming - do you have RSLogix500; 2...programming cable - do you have a DB-9 serial to DIN programming cable or a 1747-PIC programming box; 3...programming PC - does your PC have a hard serial port.  

If you do not have these 3 basic building blocks, you in no way would have a use for a sample program to begin with and will be wasting everyone's time.  I know I sounded rude verbally, but I just stated my point.

Did you read the manual?  Did you try to code the manual examples?  I found code examples in the manual, just sitting there waiting for someone to have a go at it.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um007_-en-p.pdf

4 basic building blocks- (4) the willingness to put some effort into learning. 

I didn't post RTFM because I wanted to be an a**. I posted RTFM because that's what anyone unfamiliar with the card would have to do. There is no  "programming example'". You set bits in a word based on what your setup requirements are. It clearly shows that in the example starting on the page I referenced.

I have some bad news for you- AB actually gives clear and concise instructions for how to configure (not program) the INT4. That's not always the case, but in this instance, the example in the manual clearly and concisely answered your question.

if you would have asked how to turn on and off  a fan using the temperature from the card I could have given you a programming example. you asked how to configure the card and I gave you the answer. I suspect that I put more effort into making sure the manual had a decent explanation in it than you did. 

i noticed you had the same question on another forum. Same answer too :)

Edited by Michael Lloyd
1 person likes this