MineSparky

Don't know the IP adderess of a 1794-aent

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1794-aent and would like to reconfigure it to another IP adderess. The reading I have done all say to put the dip sw to get it back to default. This 1794-aent has no dip sw. How do I change the adderess to what I want? I can't seen to see it through RSLinx or logix 5000. THanks

are you familiar with network set up?.. this is the first thing you should think of. your laptop or programming device must have same IP subnet as your Adapter network. 2nd your 1794-AENT adapter have NO dipswitch but has rotatable knob set the 3 to 999 then. Then used BootP and enter the adpter mac address then you can change your IP network.

Edited by Gnex

set switches to 888 then power up AENT for 10-15 sec. 

turn power off and set switches to 999. now the module is at factory defaults (using DHCP).

if you don't want DHCP but you are ok with 192.168.1.x subnet, simply use switches to set last octet before powering it up.

for example, if you set switches to 123 then module will bootup with address 192.168.1.123

if you wish to use static IP that is NOT in that range, use BOOTP to connect to module and change address.

The original 1794-AENT Series A modules have no hardware switches for setting the IP address in the common 192.168.1/24 subnet or configuring the module for defaults.

If I get one of these with an unknown IP address, I use an isolated Ethernet network and Wireshark to look for ARP (address resolution) packets coming from the module on boot-up.

This 1794-AENT has no dip sw or dial.I will work on it the next couple days.Thanks everyone I will get back to you...

OK I got it. I used another pc turned off the fire walls. Only thing is I had to do it a couple of times 

I got it to default, set the new ip but could disable bootp? I tyres about 6 times cycling power setting ip then it took. Is boot p flacks or is it in my end ?

BootP, I have found, does not always "take".  I have configured these for new machine startups many times, often more than 1 at a time.

1. Use a laptop that your IT department has given you administrative rights to

2. Download and install Wireshark, a free IP sniffer utility.  Read up on this utility and how to use it.

3. Disable ALL ports on your laptop, but leave the Ethernet port enabled.  If your wireless port(s) are left enabled, Wireshark will have activity for ALL network connections and you could accidentally re-address the wrong device.

4. Use Wireshark to sniff/listen for the AENT device.  Sometimes you will get one that has BootP turned OFF, or the IP address has already been programmed.  If the AENT device still has BootP enabled, Wireshark will make note.  Take time to study Wireshark and you will learn what the information is.

5. Use BootP to configure the new IP address; cycle power to the AENT device; use Wireshark to sniff and verify the IP address; you can also open a DOS command prompt and use old-school PING commands.