Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wendaiyu

what the mean of Assembly Instance is?

2 posts in this topic

Hi, guys, how are you? On our production line, we use RSLogix5000 as main PLC to control fanuc robots via ControlNet. So I Checked the properties of ControlNet module. Could you tell me what the mean of Assembly Instance is? Thanks a lot.

"Assembly instance" means "format" or "arrangement" of data. Company that came up with protocol specification (AB/RS), defined bunch of acceptable data formats including Big/Little endinanness, any flags and status data, reserved areas etc. Some of those formats are suitable for inputs, some for outputs, some for configuration, etc. Then when some manufacturer makes new device (I/O module for example, or PLC or whatever), they need to declare which exact Assembly Instances they have implemented. You need to make sure to use correct ones if your interest is to establish communication. You can find more in RS literature. For example check pages 38-46 of this document: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1734-um016_-en-p.pdf