Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GT6Steve

Downgrading Firmware for 1769-L32E

8 posts in this topic

Greetings, Can someone clarify Firmware revisions for me? I'm trying to load a project written in Software version 17 because that's what was standardized upon before I got here. I've mounted the 1769-L32E and established an Ethernet address. RSWho sees it as an "Unrecognized Device, 1769-L32E Ethernet Port". I believe this is because the new Processor is a version 19 and the Software defaulted to a 19 when I loaded it. If correct, how can I revert the Firmware to a version 17 so I can load this project compatably with the rest of the network? ControlFlash only shows version 19.11 as an option. Thanx in advance, Steve

Just as an informational input.. I recently purchased two L23E's.. There was a nice bright orange sticker that stated a minimum requirement for being able to program it. Not sure if you are in the same situation. I would right click on the device in RSLinx and select "Upload EDS from device", or go to the EDS file section from AB.com and select.

Yeah, I still have that sticker. Version 16.023 is the earliest it'll work with so I should be good there. I recall loading EDS's for a drive long ago, I'll have to dig around on Google for a while. Thanx for the clue, I'll do some more study.... Just as an informational input.. I recently purchased two L23E's.. There was a nice bright orange sticker that stated a minimum requirement for being able to program it. Not sure if you are in the same situation. I would right click on the device in RSLinx and select "Upload EDS from device", or go to the EDS file section from AB.com and select.

You should be able to get the eds file from the L32E, if not then get it from AB's website. Unless something has changed, I'm used to the CompactLogix coming with firmware version at V1 and having to upgrade to the level I need for RSLogix 5000 and the program.

The bad news is that you will need RSLogix 5000 Rev.19 to connect to the CPU.... The good ones: once connected to the CPU using RSL5K Rev.19.xy, you should be able to "downgrade" the controller firmware to Rev.17 using the ControlFlash utility and the Firmware package included with RSL5K Rev.17. Install RSL5K Rev.19.xy concurrently to Rev.17; on Logix Class platforms, user software major revisions must match the controller major firmware revisions.

Mission accomplished! Apparently I wasn't going deep enough at the AB Firmware download page. I clicked the red Download at the bottom of the page and nothing happened but when my friend did the same thing it worked for hi and brought up a download menu box. Guess I'll have to sharpen my mouse....! Thanx to all for trying to respond to a somewhat vague question, Regards, Steve

this is certainly too late to be helpful to the OP – but the question had me wondering about just how tricky this would be ... just in case this might be helpful to someone else in the future, I'll go ahead and post the following: I had a spare 1769-L31/A in my lab equipment that had previously been flashed to Version 20.013 ... I ran some experiments ... first I UN-registered the EDS file for this processor to see if RSLinx would still communicate with it ... it did ... notice that RSLinx now shows the processor as an "Unrecognized Device" – but you can still discover the catalog number – and that the Firmware Version number is 20.013 ... next I started ControlFlash software from the executable file ... specifically, I didn't have to fire up RSLogix5000 at all ... I noticed that the "older" version didn't show up until I clicked the checkbox as shown ... if you don't already have the desired firmware available in ControlFlash, then you'll need to download that from Allen-Bradley and use the MSI (Microsoft Installer) to register the firmware version ... I stopped the experiment at the screen shot below – but I'll bet more than pocket change that the firmware would have been successfully downgraded as shown highlighted below ... basic ideas: as near as I can tell, you don't really need RSLogix5000 - or even a working EDS file - to do a downgrade ... ControlFlash seems fully capable of doing this downgrade operation for you if you give it the right version files to work with ... maybe this will come in handy for someone else in the future ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thanx for that Ron, That looks pretty much how it went once we found the earlier revision. I didn't have that option in my ControlFlash and that's where I ran out of knowledge. Many Thanx for making the effort to illustrate it for the future. Regards, Steve Smith