Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mouldermike

unitronics anyone?

7 posts in this topic

I've just installed my first Mitsubishi FX3U PLC using GX Developer (self taught) machine is running fine but I need to install an HMI and learn how to program it. Buying the kit and software will set me back a few hundred pounds. For my next project would a combined PLC/HMI with free software as offered by Uniitronics be better? Doesn't seem to be a forum for this so anyone got any opinions? Mike

A friend of mine is using them for some very simple jobs. The software is free but is hard to use in my opinion. Simple jobs OK - complex forget it. I normally use Omron for everything but nothing is free as with all the major manufacturers but I believe the cost of software is reasonable. I do not use combined units ever - too much wiring to the door and takes too long.

I have used them for a couple of simple projects. The PLC programming is clunky, although some "old-timers" don't mind it. Simple programming, but it is difficult to do anything more than the basics. Can be done, just not easily.

I price compared the Mitsubishi and Unitronics once, and I remember that the hardware price was about the same. Since I already had the Mitsubishi software and experience with it, I went that direction. Mitsubishi software is very reasonable these days compare to some of the other big guys. BobB makes an excellent point about wiring, which I second! Red Lion makes some excellent HMIs with free software. Not sure about pricing on the smaller units. I've also used the C-More Micro. They get the job done. To use them with the FX, you'll need the plug in comms adapter.

Thanks for the input everyone - it seems I'm sticking with Mitsubishi. Is the Mitsubishi GOT the best solution for an HMI in my circumstance? Cheers Mike

My understanding is the E-1000 series (which is made by Beijer, in any case) is getting discontinued. So the GOT is really the only option if you're sticking with Mitsubishi. Which particular HMI you get is application and budget specific, and you really haven't given us any information about either.

I think Omron screens have drivers for most Mitsubishi PLCs - another option is probably Red Lion.