Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gleblanc

Where to send RFQs

8 posts in this topic

How do you folks send out RFQs and/or find automation vendors for projects? I've got several smaller projects that I need to get quoted and built in the next few months (I figure 1-2 projects per month). Writing the specs isn't too bad, though it does take time, but what do I do with them after they're written? I don't live in a big metro area, so there aren't a lot of options (and every other plant around is continuous process rather than discreet assembly). How far out do folks usually contract this kind of work? Thanks.

Probably posting here is a good start. I'm not too far from you depending on what your needs are.

I did post one in the For Sale, Employment, Services or Wanted forum. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=24845

Greetings, This response may be late in that I haven't been on the site for some time. Needless to say, for future projects, feel free to submit your RFQ requirements to my company and we can at least review your needs and determine what we can provide. If there are items that we cannot support, we can also research other vendors.

OK, so another question in this same topic. How long should I post an RFQ? Is 2 weeks long enough, too short, too long? I hate to have these things sitting out there forever, but I do want to give folks adequate time to gather all the information they need to put together an accurate quote.

I would think that if I was going to quote you that I would have contacted you and let you know that I am working on a quote. I don't think you are just going to get quotes showing up out of the blue. So with that said, if anyone else hasn't contact you direct with an intention to quote, then they have terrible salesmanship...So you probably won't hear from anyone else.

Yeah, I've actually had a couple of companies email me and say that they were going to quote, and then not follow through. Of course I don't get any replies to direct email either. However, I was really asking since I have another RFQ to send out next week, and I'm not sure what dates to stick on it. I hope to have another RFQ to post before the end of the month.

How long you leave an RFQ "out there" will ultimately depend on your time frame for the project and how long you can truly wait. It would be helpful to include a deadline with your RFQ. This way, whom ever you are sending it out to will know when you need an answer back. A follow up email prior to the deadline is helpful in that it prompts a response. If you don't get a response, one thing that I have found helpful in getting people to respond is to put in the subject section "second request" This prompts a response more often than not. There are times when I haven't heard anything back that I will do a "third request" If I don't get anything back by then, this tells me that they are not going to respond. Part of sending out RFQs is managing who you send them to. Your time is valuable and you are on a schedule. If people can't respond back in a timely manner, they are either not interested or can't fulfill your requirements. Out of common respect courtesy you should at the very least get a response back regarding their interest. It is your responsibility to convey your needs and time frame.