Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PortenoSuenos

RSLogix 500

4 posts in this topic

Hi All... In RSLogix 500. 1. Just curious if there is a way to make a rung or ladder file hidden or where no one could get to it other than OEM Lock..?? I just want a few rungs hidden. 2. Is there a way to make a macro..?? Thanks

Just password lock the whole program. It's in the 'properties' dialogue on the upper left hand side. However, any engineer worth his salt is going to be able to break past that -- open the RSP file in a POSIX compliant text editor and sniff around a bit... the password is right there in plain text (and even if you select 'encrypt' when enabling the password, it is not difficult to cut and paste the encrypted password into any of various decrypters). I always through passwording or locking out software (especially configuration software or PLC programs) was the mark of a weak programmer. I'm not sure what you're desire / goal is with locking out, as it may very well be something of good intention (for example, a non-resettable hour meter or whatever), but most of these bums out there (OEM's included) lock their software out because their either ashamed of their sloppy code or they are insecure in their positions and have to create their own job security.

I lock off some of my AOI's and routines to keep someone from jacking with the code. The AOI's represent a lot of work to develop on my part (ok, not that much but it took some time). The routines that are locked are locked because if someone fat fingers the structured text and inadvertently changes something then it could compromise the functionality of the program. That said, I've given my AOI's away, unlocked, numerous times. With the exception of the AGA 3 gas flow AOI they are easily reproduced and some of us learn from dissecting others work... Putting a password on an SLC is a waste of time. POSIX compliant? Isn't that for LINUX?

Sort of... a POSIX compliant text editor uses /r/n for end of line termination and carriage return and new line. Windows Notepad is not - it looks for ^M and some other junk to indicate carriage return and line feed. The result is that a lot of stuff written for non-Windows interpretation (the majority of the computer world, believe it or not - you don't think a ControlLogix processor runs a Windows Kernel !) will show up all screwed up in Notepad. POSIX compliant = Mac / Linux / Unix / BSD / HP-UX / Sun Solaris / and just about every other OS on the planet... except Windows. Luckily, for anyone wanting to write or edit or view cross platform code - there are many 3rd party text editors for Windows which are POSIX friendly... gEdit / VIM / Notepad++ / and a slew of others. Edited by Powered By Dodge V8