Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fab4real

Monitor Sysmac CP1E with VB or custom made app ?

16 posts in this topic

Hi, i'd like to find some ressources/help about monitoring a CP1E Omron PLC on Windows or Linux. I know how to do this with the use of CX-Supervisor on our main station, but i'd like to store some informations from another PLCs which are not connected to a CX-Supervisor license. Main reason is of course the price of the license because we need to store very few informations (weight and hour/date of 200 bags per day) on 2 or 3 different machine/PLCs.(one PLC per machine). And we don't need supervisor for each of those machines. So i want to know if there is a way to develop our own code to monitor the PLC and store some information with the help of bits and words. Maybe connecting with VB or Java, or something else. It would be something running in the background, and storing datas(words) when some bits are activated.. Maybe with Modbus protocol ? If you have some links to help me find some more informations :) Thanks Edited by fab4real

Hello, PeakHMI might be a good fit for you. The cost is much less than it would be for you to develop the drivers.

Here is a good serial ActiveX control that PMCR wrote that should help you out: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=889 You will need a serial option board for the CP1E, something like a CP1W-CIF01 (this one is RS232, there are RS485 versions available also). The software installation will install a help PDF that will show up in your start menu (I think) that can provide details on how to use the ActiveX component. Using this is free, so no cost to develop the drivers.

Hi Mark, i'm not confident how to use your softwares ? Anyway i'm looking for something more open and free.. thank you Michael, i thing my PLc already have a port serie : Do i still need to get a CP1W-CIF01 ? With this activeX component, i can develop a VB software that will permanently listen to a PLC and live "grab" some datas (words to store on bit 1) every minutes ? I'm asking because i will pay someone to develop this, i'm not a VB developer. Thanks! Edited by fab4real

Hi, > Anyway i'm looking for something more open and free.. >...I'm asking because i will pay someone to develop this That was what I was saying. Developing software is expensive, unless someone donates their time or the rate is very very low. How much are you willing to pay someone to 'develop' the program you want? How long do you think it will take someone to develop the program, 100 hours, 500 hours...? By the way, we have a demo project using the CP1L. Edited by Mark-

I was hoping it would be 5-10 hours of development maximum. What we need is only to read words and then store them in a text file on the computer. So i just need a VB script that launch at startup and "check" for new alerts.Then we'll have some history of what's happening that we could grab with a usb key. For instance we'll store some alerts, when a specific bit is set, we store a word that give us information about where the problem happen. We don't want to develop a software! For that we use cx-supervisor. My english is confusing, but it's not a "personal project" with my own money.. It's some need for an industrial client, and we have to store some datas for 4 plcs, one have a screen with cx-supervisor on it, but we can't afford a license for the 3 others plc that only need little data storing - or if we can't do it without a supervisor license, we won't do it on those 3 other plcs because it would be too expensive for only that. and it's only alert history. I just installed the ActiveX control but i can't install "Omron CSCJCP Serial ActiveX.CAB" Also, is the demo project in the pdf documentation ? thanks! Edited by fab4real

That port would be fine. You would also need to buy or make a special cable to communicate with that port (Omron C200HS-CN220-EU or C200H-CN229-EU) If you had VB programming experience, then my previous suggestion would be good, but since you do not, it is not so helpful. It would not take too long for an experienced programmer to do what you want using the suggested tools however.

Thank you very much :) I wil make that cable tomorrow.. I now need a VB programmer to review those thing, i have one available.. but if you know a freelance VB developper with PLC knowledge, i'd be interested to get in touch with him for a proposal. Thanks

There is some sample VBA code in the PDF file (Visual Basic for Applications). It is using VBA inside of Excel.

Hello, >I was hoping it would be 5-10 hours of development maximum. Thanks, that gave me a good chuckle.

"Thanks, that gave me a good chuckle." You're too much focused on your products which are probably good replacement solutions for long development but that's not what i need!! maybe you didn't read carefully what i really need ! Sorry for that but please don't despise me just because i don't need your software ;) Edited by fab4real

Hello, I was not "despising" you. I read your first post and subsequent post very carefully. I was trying to point out, using humor, I guess I failed, that what you are describing will take more than 5-10 hours. >“So i just need a VB script that launch at startup and "check" for new alerts.” I see this all the time. When someone uses the word “just” to describe a software project, it is an excellent indicator, they will greatly underestimate the time/money required to implement the idea presented. That includes all phases of the project. >We don't want to develop a software! But you do. You might not want to develop a relay ladder logic program, but you do want someone to create a program. You might not consider a VB script a program but it is a program. Creating scripts completely fits the definition “developing software”.

It's not just an idea that i launch to someone and say "hey I'd like to have this. just do it." that's why i'm gathering a maximum of information (here, on google and on our software or hardware documentations, also at phone with Omron Support) before sending a requirements doc to my developper. I hope it won't take 50-500 hours ! I'll tell you Edited by fab4real

Finally, i think i only need CX-Server Lite.. But maybe some cheaper software can replace it for the simple use i need.

The link that I provided is the same concept as CX-Server Lite (ActiveX tool that can be used in a VB container), except it is free. For a simple application, the free ActiveX tool should be fine.

Ok now i'm looking for activeX control for Omron PLC. I haave some problems with PMCR's.. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=18242&st=0&gopid=117850entry117850