Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baj

Losing Online Programming Changes with L61 and RSL5k v20.01

4 posts in this topic

This happened to me three times yesterday. Twice with the same rung edits (lost the changes I was making for the second time). We do have two engineers programming in the same PLC, and my local distributor's support personnel suggested it's not a real problem and that the other engineer may have cancelled edits in the routine I was working on, which could have removed my pending changes. But one of my three changes I had accepted and even tested the functionality on the machine. Later when it did not work anymore, I went back and the changes I had made were gone. I was online the whole time, so no one did a download when I wasn't looking or I would have been kicked-off (plus the other guy is sitting right next to me and neither of us did a download). Still, they did not seem to believe me. Today it happened again, except not to me but the other engineer. Even though I was online with the PLC, I was on the phone and not even looking at RSL5k during the period it happened, so it wasn't anything I did. His change included an export of a FB task, changing some tag names, then importing it as a new FB task. He was looking at other task to connect the tags for his new task and along the way his new FB task turned into a blank sheet. So the problem is not just in my head, it would have to be in both of our heads. And it exists in both ladder and FB. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks, -Brad

Welcome the the Forum Brad! In cases like this, I look for a Memory Card installed that could be overwriting Program changes. Is it possible there is a Memory Module installed? Stu....

Do you have tech connect? if so see kb25961. I can't find any specifics about your exact issue. Looks like multiple edits from different stations are serialized and the last one wins. You can lock the controller from your workstation and prevent other users from editing. If you have pending edits but not yet written to the controller an another user makes a change you will lose your edits. Accept, Test, Untest, Assemble, and Cancel affect all users edits that are working on the same program even though they are working in a different routine as it is a program level command. Hope this helps.

Thanks Stu. I've used this feature of ControlLogix several times before on previous projects going back 10+ years and don't recall this issue. I guess we did a better job of staying out of each other's way. I read KB25961 and that might explain one or maybe two of the occurences, but there would appear to be something else going on as well. As I mentioned I lost a change I had not only applied but actually tested the functionality on, and we lost pending edits when only one programmer was actually using their computer. Thanks, -Brad