Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stuartjl

Mitsubishi Q series connection via HMI

16 posts in this topic

Hi, i have a Q series PLC and an E1000 HMI. The HMI connects to the PLC via the front connection on the PLC. What i'm wanting to do is connect to the PLC via the HMI using ethernet? So i can use the HMI and monitor whats happening. Also i'm using GX IEC developer as it a older system. Stu

You need an Ethernet card in the Q-system, unless you have a QnUE CPU

And you'll need E-Designer to change over the communication settings from serial to ethernet of the E1000 (make sure getting the latest communication driver in E-Desginer as well). DJTron

Hi, Thanks for the quick replies. The PLC is a Q00J, the HMI has an IP address setup. So i should just need to connect to the HMI through my laptop?

You will need E-Designer or iX Developer (if you have an iX panel) to change the comm parameters to be able to talk to the PLC

HMI panel set-up, just having trouble establishing access through the ethernet. Keeps displaying no network access, will the ip address be the one i've setup on HMI or a manufacturer default address? Then i will be able to use the same domain. Or do you still need the e designer software running to do this?

You will be able to set up the IP parameters manually without using programming software. 1. Turn off panel 2. Set dip switch 1 to ON 3. Boot terminal 4. Service menu comes up, navigate and change IP parameters 5. Turn off panel 6. Set dip switch 1 to OFF 7. Boot panel

Hi, Thanks already done this. Still having communication issue, going to check cross over cable and laptop to see if there is an issue there.

It seems i need a piece of software called TIBBO as well.

Tibbo is only used if you are going to use serial over TCP/IP. As long as you have a computer with Ethernet you are good to go! E1000 series have built-in Ethernet so no problem there, except the two smallest panels if I recall. If you have one of the smaller E1000 you will need the serial programming cable, but still without Tibbo. Tibbo is needed when programming the PLC using serial communication using Ethernet and transparent communication in the E1000.

Hi, Thanks for the response. I think i may have confused people in what i want, the second part of your answer is exactly what i'm doing. I will be programming and monitoring the PLC through the HMI in transparent mode or pass through mode. What i'm strugging with is why i can't establish comms with the HMI through ethernet. Even though the ip addresses of the PC and HMI are on the same domain. Thanks for your help, its much appreciated

OK, first of all: Buy an E71 Ethernet card to your Q-system, it will save you a lot of trouble. Using Tibbo is not straight forward, plus the communication link will be very slow. The transparent mode in the E1000 does not work as "good" as it did in the E series (even the E series was not that good). So you'll earn the money spent by avoiding a lot of hours with frustration. Second, you have set an IP address in the HMI, correect? And when you hit the transfer button in E-designer, you select TCP/IP in the options? Do you maybe have a screen-shot? Are you connecting the E1000 directly to your PC with no switch between? In that case you need a crossover cable. Can you ping the HMI? Ping is the first thing that has to work....

Hi, as it is an older system. Tibbo will be used instead of purchasing a card. I had a chat with a contractor we use and he said he always had trouble connecting to the E1070. He says that its due to always never knowing which ip address to use when setting up the E1070 through e designer. The last time he tried to connect to the E1070, he had to reset the E1070 back to factory default to get the ethernet connection to work. So this might be why i'm having trouble connecting. I've connected to lots of other systems e.g. Beckhoff, Siemens. Just never had so much trouble connecting via ethernet to this system. Then again it might be just as easy to connect directly to the PLC as you can't use the HMI in pass through mode anyway. Thanks for help, much appreciated.

Have had a fair amount of experience with this kind of thing, and Kaare makes some very valid points. When you can't get any comms on ethernet, the first thing to start with is the PING command. If the E1000 is out there, then it should reply .... assuming your crossover cable is OK. Using XP Pro, make sure your laptop is set with a fixed IP address in the TCP/IP parameters. If your laptop is (say) 192.168.1.55, then the HMI should be 192.168.1.xxx (where xxx can be from 0-255) I'm sure you know all this, but it's worth saying again. I've also used a Tibbo virtual comm port solution and it's a bit of a nightmare. It kind of works, but often it doesn't. The timeout on the HMI needs to be set to as long as possible when doing online changes on big programmes and it makes a scary scenario into a heart attack scenario because sometimes it will just "hang" with no reason. I had Tibbo working OK with the 32 bit version of Medoc on an FX2N, but when I upgraded the programme to IEC Developer, it just wouldn't work ....... The E71 card is the best option, but they're not that cheap. Failing that, transparent mode works pretty well if you use a null modem cable and the RS232 port on the HMI ..... as long as the cable is less than about 10 metres. Note that the cables for the E1000 range and the earlier range are different .... the main differences being the way pins 2 and 3 are connected. You will tear your hair out using the Tibbo virtual ports .... they're free, but you get what you pay for.