Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Research

Control Flash help

12 posts in this topic

Well I am having a issue flashing MicroLogix 1100 PLC. I'm hooked direct to the PLC thru a crossover cable and able to make changes to the PLC, see it in RSLinx, and ping it. When i go to use Control Flash to update the firmware I am getting a COM port already in use error message. Ive been stuck with this for a couple days now. I have been kinda thrown into the new SCADA install that has gone on at my work with no real experience in any of this. If there is anything else I can post to get help with this I would be more than willing to do what I can to do to get help with this and THANKS in advance. Edited by Research

Welcome to the forum! I have never had the need to update the firmware of a ML1100 so I can't help with your specific question but I would like to ask why you need to upgrade it?

You don't mention your Catalog or Model number of MicroLogix 1100 so it's hard to say, but a visit here would be a good first start. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19028 +2 BobO - for why upgrade?

The sercret to control flashing an ML1100 is to shutdown RSLinx. Use RSLinx to verify connectivity to the DF1 port and settings, then shut it down to do the control flashing of the firmware. As for the questioning of the need for firmware upgrade, usually they ship with the latest or nearly latest firmware installed. Early versions of the firmware had ethernet comms issues that were resolved in rev 7 and latter firmwares upgrades. Edited by pcmccartney1

First off I'd like to thanks for the quick reply to this! Ok with that said, the ML1100 is a series B on firmware 5.00 and I am having COMM issues between the PLC's. I will go ahead and try again with the RSLinx shutdown I very well could have missed something on shutting it down. Like I said I've really been thrown into this with no experience in any sort of this but always up for a challenge.

Just to resolve any confusion, is this an Ethernet or Serial connection? The other posts imply the ControlFlash must take place through the serial connection (DF1).

I am trying to do it thru Ethernet. The catolog number I believe is 1763LEC well that's what I was told for this PLC. We had a intagrader in and flashed a 1400 over Ethernet thru a switch. Is there a difference on the 1100 that would make it not be able to flash over Ethernet?

I'm not sure, I haven't done this to a Micrologix. I was just reacting to other posts.

Does the ML1100 have a static IP address or it is "stock" DHCP? Go Online with the controller and verify the communications settings for Channel 1. "Controller Configuration The controller must be configured for default communications (use the Communications Toggle Functionality which is available on the LCD; DCOMM indicator on) and be in the Program mode (use the Mode Switch which is available on the LCD.) to allow the download of a new operating system." Edited by dmargineau

Ok I didnt have much time with the controller today do to sewer flushing and flagging. But I will try these suggestions I have got off of here. But I do know the I.P. But what I am getting is that I cant do it over ethernet? Just one more thing is that the ML1400 was done over ethernet so is there a difference between the 1100 and 1400 that would not let it be done over ethernet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

My experience has been that the only way to flash the firmware is over DF1 and that RSLinx has to be shutdown. Upon completion of upgrade, quite often the static IP is gone. You knuckle your IP in again and download your program and run. Seems that the majority of the firmware upgrades with specifically to fix problems in the comms driver of the ethernet port.

Not to contradict someone with more ML1100 experience than myself, but your statement does not apply to the compact and control logix families of processors. In fact ethernet is the best way in my experience to flash upgrade a controllogix processor.