Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
matt6

'C' programmable application (serial) interface for ControlLogix platform help

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I am using a ControlLogix to interface with a drive via RS-232. The drive uses the manufacturer’s proprietary binary protocol and I will write the communication interface as a 'C' application. Before I write the 'C' application I am researching possible ways to do this, so far I have the following options: ControlLogix -> Prosoft MVI56-ADM ('C' Programmable Communications Interface for ControlLogix) -> Drive http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/2919 ControlLogix -> Ethernet Module (Modbus TCP/IP) -> Industrial Microcontroller -> Drive ControlLogix -> Embedded operating system industrial PC (eg. Prosoft PC56-XP) --> Drive http://www.prosoft-technology.com/content/view/full/1062#) Does anyone know of any other ways to do this? I have searched for days and cannot find any other companies besides Prosoft who have created a 'C' application module for the ControlLogix platform, does anyone know of any other companies who do this? At the moment I believe the Prosoft MVI56-ADM card is way to go as it will be the easiest to implement. What do you think? Thanks in advance for you help. Matt

What about a Red Lion data station or a G3 HMI? I an doing a job now with it talking 232 to a PLC5

Rockwell Automation only licenses the ControlLogix backplane technology to a small number of companies. ProSoft Technology is the principal route to market for various products based on hardware developed by OnLine Development (OLDI), so you're looking in the right place. A Prosoft card will seldom be the low-price option, but is frequently the lowest-risk option. For EtherNet/IP based devices you're going to want to look at RealTime Automation and HMS Fieldbus. As an example, the HMS Fieldbus "Communicator" device is brand-labeled by Schneider Electric to provide an Ethernet interface to the Altivar drive family. I know they offer a Java-programmed custom module based on the Communicator's hardware but they might also offer other stuff. RTA focuses on easy-to-use web-configured devices, but I would expect that they have OEM versions as well.

The RTA 460 serial is CoDeSys based. So you can do some programming in there. I have never done anything with binary serial data. I ASSuME that you can take the byte and convert it then manipulate them.

Thanks so much for your help Jeff and Ken. Matt