Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ace21122112

trying to connect to a 5/04 with a 1747-cp3 cable

5 posts in this topic

I am working on a machine retrofit that has a 5/04 plc in it the dh+ terminals are connected to a panelview plus, The 9 pin 232 port is connected to a old panelview 550 with a 2706-NC13 cable. I am really trying to avoid having to get a pcmk card for the round minidin port cause they are ridiculously expensive. I thought i could simply unplug the pv550 and plug into my laptop with a 1747-CP3 cable but that doesnt seem to work In the driver type box I selected Rs232 DF1, in the device box I select slc-ch0/micro/panelview hit autoconfigure and cant establish a connection..... Anyone know what im doing wrong

The serial port on your SLC5/04 can be configured for DF1 ( default) DH485,ASCII or Modbus ( on newer units). Sense you are connected to a PV550 then the options are DF1 or DH485. If you can, check the offline file of your SLC5/04 to see how the serial port is configured. Or post the complete catalog number of your PV. And or post the SLC5/04's program and someone will help you look. If it's DH485 then you need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. This will work if you have a real serial port on your PC. If not then you need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter). Edited by Mickey

Channel 0 is configured for DH485 and I do have a true serial port... so I assume use 1747-PIC driver with a CP3 cable?

Yes , that cable should work. There can be other issues with that old driver. See PDF's below if you have trouble making it work. PICDriverAllenBradley.pdf PICDriver_XP.pdf PICDriverConf.pdf

Also keep in mind that Windows XP SP3 has a broken serial port driver and will not work with the old PIC module, regardless of whether the serial port is real or virtual. There is a workaround that involves replacing the serial port driver with the one from SP2, but I wouldn't monkey with it if you don't really have to (there's a procedure for this here). Note also that the 1747-UIC only supports 19200 baud. If your PLC is set to a different speed, you probably need the old PIC module. Another alternative is to pick up a 1784-U2DHP. It will connect to the round mini-DIN connector via a USB port. You can also get an adapter from Grace to use this cable with the 9-pin DH+ port on some older PLC-5s. Edited by Joe E.