Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ckawake

Cognex In-Sight 1400 for Defect Checking

4 posts in this topic

I am very very new to all of this and have kind of been thrown at building a part checking system. I know the optical sensor can be used to tell the camera to take the picture. We are using an airline to blow off parts that the camera detects as bad. Can the In-Sight 1400 I/O Expansion Module be used to tell the conveyor to start/stop, the optical sensor to take the picture, and the airline to blow off bad parts/advance the conveyor for good parts? Do I need to integrate a PLC into the system?

I dunno what your machine looks like, but Cognex is great to inspect parts. I uploaded a machine I did with 5 cameras, all into a PLC, air blow off. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=353 Do you have a PLC? How are you intending to FIFO or keep track of the parts that are good and bad? I don't think it's wise to use the cognex as a machine controller, but if it needs to control local I/O it depends on what your machine looks like or how localized the decision is.

Yes, we have AB micrologix 1000. Just not really anybody to program it haha

Not sure what model number they are but we have Cognex Insight Camera hooked to a Control Logix PLC. We look at the part on the fly and open a "trap door" with a servo to drop failed parts out of the good inline run. The unit runs about 55 pieces a minute, So yeah with the right PLC and right Cognex it can do what you want. Is the 1400 that camera, I can't say.