Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SLC 5/04 Channel config. question

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2711-b5a5 panelview I was wanting to interface with a SLC 5/04. The b5a5 is a DH485 panelview, My laptop has a physical serial port so I configured 1747 pic drivers under linx and used a straight through cable to load the program. Now I need to change the port settings on the 5/04 from DF1 to DH485 for the pv to communicate with the processor. The only means I have of communicating with a 5/04 from my laptop is the serial cp3 cable. I do not have a 1784 pcmk card or the DH+ cables. After I change these port settings to DH485 will I still be able to use a serial cable to get in the processor with my laptop when needed and if so do I use DF1 or 1747 PIC configuration in RS Linx.

If you change the SLC5/04's serial port to DH485 then you will have to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Your CP3 cable will work. You will need the lap top with that real serial port. Or get yourself a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) See link below. Sooner or later you are going to lose that Lap Top with a real serial port. http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm Edited by Mickey

To use the old PIC module , you also need your laptop to be running an OS older than Windows XP SP3. SP2 is fine, but they broke the serial port drivers with SP3. Edited by Joe E.

There is a fix for that, see link below. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=63919

Yeah, I already have my computer rolled back to SP1 for the pic.

Mickey you're right PIC is old and need to be updated. The point is 1747-UIC only support 19200 Bps, I had to use a old laptop for get connected to 9600Bps DH-485. I called support on this and they told me I must use PIC when speed is not 19200Bps. I change Bps for the next time but this could be a problem.