Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Berna

Connecting Lantronix UDS1100 to Controllogix

8 posts in this topic

I need help to connect a device that has UDS1100 to a Controllogix L63 controller, via ethernet. I ping the device , and the clx, and both are ok. I connect with the UDS1100 with the HyperTerminal and it displays the value correctly (Temperature) In the CLX program i want to read the data via MSG (attached picture). That is the configuration of the MSG, I dont know if thats right, after surfing for some time I found that type of MSG communicates with generic devices. It seems that the data the device, sends over the ethernet is string. If someone can help me I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

ControlLogix really has a very limited range of "generic devices" it can communicate with over EtherNet/IP. The choice of "EtherNet/IP" to indicate "Ethernet Common Industrial Protocol" has been a challenge to explain to new users for a long time. As far as I know, the UDS1100 and even the UDS1100-IAP cannot communicate with a ControlLogix using ordinary messaging or EtherNet/IP I/O exchange. There might be a way to do so using the 1756-EWEB module but it would be complex. There are other devices that will perform a generic serial to EtherNet/IP conversion, including the RA 1734-232ASC module, or the Real-Time Automation ASCII/EtherNet/IP gateway, or even the Digi One IAP. Was there any indication in the UDS-1100 literature that it can communicate with ControlLogix, or was this an assumption because of the confusing nomenclature ?

Recommendation: The easiest way to get ASCII data into a ControlLogix over Ethernet is the Real-Time Automation 435NBX. http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/435/nba.html My customers who have used them are very satisfied with their performance and especially with their ease of use.

Thank you for your response and recommendations Ken. I already made notifications about the 435NBX. Is there a way to know if certain generic device can communicate with ControlLogix? Or how do you know if a device is compatible or not. Thanks in advance. Best Regards.

Generally a vendor will boast about ControlLogix connectivity using EtherNet/IP protocol and provide technical information that gives examples of how to connect with ControlLogix. If a device just throws a bunch of acronyms at you and doesn't explicitly describe the industrial protocol functionality, it probably doesn't support the industrial protocols. I am disappointed with the Lantronix UDS1100-IAP documentation because you have to read between the lines to understand what the device does.

Hi Berna, Another way you achieve this is by using OPC. All you need to do is: Connect your UDS1100 to the OPC Server for Modbus. Connect your ControlLogix to the OPC Server for Allen Bradley. Connect both OPC Servers together with OPC Data Manager. So you architecture should look like: UDS1100 <==> Modbus OPC Server <==> OPC Data Manager <==> Allen Bradley OPC Server <==> ControlLogix PLC. Hope this was helpful Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers, Wassim Daoud Global Solutions Architect www.MatrikonOPC.com

That OPC managment method might work if the serial device was using Modbus. But it's clearly sending simplex ASCII strings. I think a PC with three OPC packages on it is overkill for this device connection, unless he already has a PC and one or more of those packages running. Edited by Ken Roach

In fact, we did communicate it with the KEPWARE OPC and my partner developed a Visual Basic application that sends and receives the data ok. But what they are searching for is to communicate directly with no pc involved. I see no other way than the Serial to Ethernet device, or maybe with a Modbus/TCP card.