Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Bender

Server process time

6 posts in this topic

I have this situation. Two servers working with NT 4.0, with 35% free processor time, using several drivers that must remain there. Now i'll need to add a Rslinx driver conected to a system having 3000 I/O. My question is what will happen with process time when i include Rslinx driver conected with Intouch db. I'll risk to overload the system?, what happen with some scripts running on servers each 0.5 seconds?, i think the system could become unstable or will not respond as well. Or i'm to paranoic and have nothing to worry about.

These are really good questions. 3000 I/O? Holy crapping.... Are you planning on using OPC to connect to your Intouch DB? How much information out of the 3000 I/O do you think will be processed from the PLC to the Intouch DB? Is the InTouch DB running on that same PC? My feeling is, the RSLinx driver will consume some resources because it's polling the PLC all the time. For a Test, you could installed it on another PC. RSLINX has some nice Network troubleshooting tools that show you how many packets are going in and out of RSLINX once you have it running and talking to a PLC. As far a the overhead on the RSLINX driver itself, because I assume this is your main question, I am not to sure, however I would be concerned about network traffic and plowing your PC with OPC request from the PLC to the Intouch DB, and it also depends on how busy the Intouch DB is with other applications. What is the Intouch DB? Is it a form of SQL? Don't know much about Intouch.... POST EDIT ---- (Never mind, I just remembered that Intouch is a Wonderware product, but I still don't know what DB they use or if it's their own...)

Intouch manage it's own tagnames and variables on a own db(not SQL, can use it or Insqlm etc..).

What PLC platform are you using? SLC500, PLC5, CL5K? Depending on the platform there are techniques that allows you to maximize throughput...

Use short tagname and arrays to reduce overhead. I've polled over 5K tags from Intouch to CLX5K using ethernet with no problem. Interval was 500ms.