Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

RSLinx Software Comparisons

7 posts in this topic

What is the difference between RSLinx Classic Gateway and RSLinx Professional? I ordered Professional but received Classic Gateway. I just want to make sure that I did not get short changed.

Gateway is considered the top of the line, so you got the 'superior' product. They're mostly the same except Gateway adds the ability to act sort of like a router. As you're probably aware, Professional gives you the OPC server ability over Linx Lite. Gateway also acts as an OPC server, but it adds the option to reference it from other Linx Classic servers. From a separate Linx instance, you can point at the Linx Gateway and reference its drivers (for instance, if your separate Linx box doesn't have a CNET card, but the Gateway does, you could use the Gateway to gather the CNET information and pass it through the non-CNET box.)

Thanks for the comprehensive reply PMersault. Much appreciated.

I think RSI eliminated the Professional part number because all the functionality except the Gateway function had been added to the OEM version. I suppose they just put a rule in the ordering system for "if Professional is ordered, ship Gateway" instead of rejecting the order. I use RSLinx Classic Gateway to great effect with Virtual Machines; Gateway can sit on my host OS or even on a lonely XPSP2 box equipped with PCMCIA and RS-232 ports, and my VM's can access those RSLinx Classic drivers that don't run on a virtualized platform (like the PIC and PCMK drivers) or on Windows 7 (like the SmartGuard USB driver).

... and for anyone else trolling the forums. Thanks Mickey, I owe you a thousand words.