Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
unette U.K

slc 1500 to omron hmi ?

6 posts in this topic

hi new to the forum and to programing, so please excuse if it sounds like i dont know what im on about !! (I DONT) im working with a micrologix 1500 at the min and using the omron hmi to comtrol certain thing within it, a plc has come up on ebay but doesnt have the rs232 d shaped output(channel 1 on mine which i use to link to the hmi), only the small din plug output I usually use to connect to my computer, the question i need answering is can i still link to my hmi using channel 0 output/input, thanks matt

Matt - welcome to MRPLC and hopefully we'll get you an answer you can use. First things first however, In order to get the best answer it is a good idea to provide as much detail as your situation {non-disclosure agreements, et. al} allow you to post. What I mean here is you mention you are using a Micrologix PLC that's like saying I'm driving a Ford Pickup. Now if you can list model number and such we'll know it's the Ranger Sport Version and not the F350 Workhorse, if you follow my anaolgy. Same goes for the Omron HMI. It would also be helpful if you can list the ebay model number you were looking at. Second - some general thoughts about ebay, and please these are opinion and by no means gospel. Ebay is a wonderful place to find deals on equipment, it is also a wonderful palce to be taken to the cleaners. When buying controls hardware off ebay, always know you seller and background check them. Also read any fine print and reviews of the seller. For every great deal someone has gotten off ebay another someone can post a horror story. Ebough of my rant about ebay. Third. If allowed posting the program or at least the cpu and comms setting information from your plc program would go a long way in us knowing what you're doing and trying to do. Bottom Line - The more we know the better advice you can get.

thanks for the reply and sorry for being so vague, the plc is a micrologix 1500 1764-28bxb and the hmi is a omron nq5-mq000-b as i said ive been running them no probs through the rs232 for a while now but its my boss who has seen the ebay bargin(£100-$170) without the rs232 port, and has asked me to try and get one we have in stock to talk to eachother through the small din plug on the front of the plc with no luck, Also your warning about ebay bargins is well noted but as he is doing the buying it is down to me to just get on with it and make it work, any help is much appreciated for a new boy like me thanks again matt

If the cable you need is a simple null-modem cable then see pdf below. 1761-CBL-PM02-PinOut.pdf

So you have a Micrologix 1500 talking to the omron nq5-mq000-b using the RS-232 port which could mean you are talking DF-1 protocol or DH-485 protocol. While both use the rs-232 jacks they are different and incompatable protocols. I suspect that the omron can also speak both. What your missing is changing from what I suspect is DF-1 to DH-485 but without a sneak peak at the micrologix program I can't be absolutely sure. The following may be a useful resource if you read thru chapter 4. .http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1764-um001_-en-p.pdf

Take a look at Appendix A of this Getting Started Guide for Omron NQ terminals: http://downloads.ind...tartedGuide.pdf Appendix A-3-4 shows you how to configure your terminal for DF1 Full Duplex to communicate with a MicroLogix controller. There's also a pinout drawing for connecting to the MicroLogix's 8-pin mini-DIN comm port (fyi.. you will need a null modem adapter if using the PM02 cable). Verify both devices' comm ports are configured the same. Reference Bob's link above for the MicroLogix 1500 user manual.