Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Logix5000 - Easy Licence Management

7 posts in this topic

I had been explaining recently to someone about issues I have with my Logix5000 licences as I have several different ones spread over several PCs. Only 1 of them has the ability to read all IEC 61131 languages, the rest can only read ladder logic. Although I have various ideas to solve this minor problem, such as transferring the all-singing, all-dancing licence to a single laptop, and using only that for downloading/troubleshooting/etc, I was told by that person that he has transferred certain files to a USB memory stick, and carries around only that, and plugs it into whichever PC he uses at each control system. Due to circumstances, this USB solution seems ideal for me, but I never asked at the time how to achieve this flexibility, and I won't have an opportunity to meet that person again. So I'd like to ask, is anyone familiar with this kind of licence management? And how do I actually do it? thanks... Daryl

I keep all of my license files on a memory stick. Note that it's not just any memory stick. You have to buy one from Allen Bradley that is specifically made for this purpose. It has all of the anti-paranoia security on it. It works pretty well.

Actually, that sounds a lot more like what I was being told about. How do I go about getting one of these memory sticks, and is there a cost involved? thanks... Daryl

I do this as well and I really like it I think the A/B PN is USB-DONG. It was around $90 US. Rumor has it that any USB stick that uses a unique Serial number will work. You just transfer your FT Licensed to that dongle. Reliability becomes an issue at that point. Edited by waterboy

Your AB rep should be able to get you the application to use your own memory stick to transfer the files to. Someone in my company did this years ago and I cannot locate the app. Your rep should know about this and be able to help you.

If thats true for FT Licensing. please post details. While I have no reason to suspect it is not possible, not many memory sticks are serialized (or reliable enough) to do this . If AB is now supporting this, I would love to know the details. I still suspect that they wil only "Support" thier USB stick for anything but the older floppy based licensing.

Thanks for your help folks. As of today, part number 9509-USBDONG ordered at approx £85. thanks... Daryl