Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Armadillo852

Windows 7

5 posts in this topic

I have the great opportunity to install Windows 7 onto a fresh hard drive for my laptop. I know you guys are screaming Logix5000 isn't supported if you have V15. Well, of course I do. We have everything from V10 to V17. And no, flashing the firmware is not an option as these are at different plants. So, what I am wondering is if anybody has Windows 7 on their laptop, and has made Virtual Machines of Allen Bradley software. Logix5000, Logix500, Factory Talk Studio, RsLinx Classic, etc. The other issue is I also will need to install Siemens WinCC 2005 and 2008. I know I need a VM for 2008, as you can only have one version of WinCC on you laptop at once. I am planning on using Microsoft Virtual Machine. Thanks All, Corey

See links below for some discussion on the subject. http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=2185868 http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=18772&st=0&p=91119&hl=+virtual%20+machine&fromsearch=1entry91119

If you want to use virtual machine, I strongly suggest VMWare. I tried Sun VirtualBox and use of SerialPort with this software is a real pain in the booty! VMWare is more powerfull and easy to use with different comms port, Ethernet, 1747-UIC DH-485 network adapter, ect... VirtualBox also have few problem with USB connection, just goolge VirtualBox usb problem, you'll see.

I will my .02 cents. I am running Win 7 pro with Windows Virtual PC. Works well so far. Installing any of the FT software requires the intergration feature to be disabled. Connecting to the outside world is tricky sometimes. Map your Ethernet cards correctly. Install your USB drivers under the Virtual machine. I used an OMRON usb/rs232 adapter to talk to a micrologix, attempt 1 had the serial ports mapped through the win7, worked once. all subsequent connections required the virtual machine to take ownership of the serial adapter which required the dirver be installed under the virtual machine. Never had any issues yet with the ethernet. I am running 3 Virtual machines. 1 has AB software with all the latest, 1 has AB software with what we actually use, 1 is for siemens. I would recommend a minimum of 8GB for your laptop if you plan on running multiple Virtual machines at once. Also edit some of the Virtual machine settings with a text editor so as not to cause hardware availability conflicts.

The usb/RS232 won't be an issue as I have a Dell with a built in serial port still. Thanks for all the info guys. I will update when/if I decide to do this.