Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Armadillo852

Devicenet Items

8 posts in this topic

Ok first off, I know cheap and AB don't go together. But here is what I am trying to do. I am looking for input from you guys and gals. I have a 1756-L61 PLC, 1756-EN2T Ethernet card, 1756-DNB Devicenet card. I have Ethernet stuff to hook up, but nothing for Devicenet. I could care less what it is as long as it "Pocket Book Friendly." It is just a test stand for new guys to learn how to work with Devicenet stuff. The biggest thing is CHEAP. Any suggestions? Thanks

An A-B DeviceNet ArmorPoint 8 Point 24 vdc Sink Input Block (Cat.# 1732D-OB8EM12) is listed for $ 165.00. An A-B DeviceNet limit switch (Cat.# 802DN-AS2 is listed for $ 205.00. An A-B DeviceNet Multi-Turn Magnetic Absolute encoder (Cat.# 842D-60131331BDA) is listed for $ 1220.00 Most likely, your local Allen-Bradley distributor's prices are lower though. However, don't give up just yet! There are numerous manufactures out there who have DeviceNet compatible products on the market. You don't have to go Allen-Bradley only. Most of them are at least as capable (and reliable!) than the Allen-Bradley manufactured ones! I can't think of any particular products (around here pricing has a lesser importance than mainstreaming when future projects selections are being made!) but just Google "DeviceNet Compatible"...You might be surprised by the returned results...

You are correct and I never even thought about non-AB stuff. Kind of funny because we use AB processors but Beckhoff I/O. Mostly Ethernet. We do however use Linmot for our linear motors and their drive for a 4 motor setup is still Devicenet. Thanks for the response and part numbers. I will look at others besides AB. This is just for training the new guys so on this job money is the issue. Other times and jobs, money isn't a big factor to us. Man I hate being held back by money!

My "training boxes" consist of first-generation DeviceNet gear that's perfectly functional but has been superceded by newer products that function in a similar way. Your distributor or RA office may have such things gathering dust, or you can find them used. I have some of the original 100-DNY "Starter Auxiliaries" that have 4 IN /2 Relay Out for simple I/O. I have a classic 1203-GK5 interface for a 1336+ drive, which uses a very similar command/status/datalink and Parameter Object as a modern PowerFlex. The little "Redistation" pushbuttons stations are state-of-the-art DeviceNet, circa 1995, but they work fine and give a good example of a Strobed connection.

Thanks Ken. I will check with them and see what they have.

You may not like this but look at eBay. You will find all kinds of stuff that you can use to learn on. They are usually pocket book friendlier than new old stock stuff.

Funny you should say that as I said the same to my boss. I was told, we don't buy stuff from ebay. LOL I found a new Beckhoff Bus Coupler that was devicenet laying around. No 5 pin connector so we ordered one from Beckhoff. $27 and we thought AB ripped people off!

I've recently ordered 8-point Input sink Point I/O modules for $80... fortunately we had the bases in stock though...