Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_electrician

Stepper Motor Control with FM353?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a question regarding the FM353 Stepper Motor Controller. Before I ask I want to clarify that I am more adapted to AB and my Siemens exposure has been limited. I am looking to get a stepper motor to rotate a part 360 degrees with accuracy to whithin 1 degree. I want to use RIO via existing profi bus. My question is does Seimens produce a stepper motor controller that works effectively and could be used on a RIO rack? I know AB makes stepper motor controllers for the compac logix and micro logix. I want to make sure I get the appropriate hardware with no conflicting setup issues. By the way our main plc that I would like to come off of for the RIO is an S7 300

You've answered your question in your heading. FM 353 Stepper Drive Positioning Module. manual from here --> LINK to SIEMENS MANUALS RIO is an AB remote IO communication, not available on Siemens. Sounds like you have Profibus, which is what you would need. EDIT: Never used these type of modules, looks like they must be connected on the same rail as the CPU or via IM (Interface Modules) which may have a max distance of 10M. Edited by Groo

Thanks for your reply. RIO is AB specific but I have a habit of using that term for remote I/O. I guess I am headed in the right direction then.

Mr. Electrician, Using FM353 requires using another S7-300 CPU and writing codes for communication between two CPU via Profibus. You can use Remote I/O with the existing Profibus. You need: 1) ET200S Interface Module IM 151-1 (6ES7151-1AA04-0AB0) 2) Power Supply 3) 1STEP 5V/204kHz Module (6ES7138-4DC00-0AB0) ET200S is small Remote I/O units which can be mounted in small cabinet close to the machine. Regards, Behnam www.sigmaprocess.ca

I would recomment an S110 Siemens Sinamics drive with a small servo. These have profibus built in A small one with motor and controls would be less than $1000.00 Edited by jrw