Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daryl

Uploading from various AB PLCs

6 posts in this topic

I've recently done some of the Rockwell ControlLogix courses, but some of the stuff hasn't sunk in yet, so I'm asking what is probably a simple question. Am I able to walk up to a MicroLogix or ControlLogix PLC, attach a laptop with RSLogix500 and 5000 respectively, with serial cable, and upload only? I've been asked if that in a situation where a PLC installation contractor either has a problem or becomes a problem, can I retrieve the PLC configuration from the PLC without having a copy of it already available on the laptop? I'm also looking to do this with a WAGO system, but I'll keep that for the WAGO forum unless someone can tell me the answer to that too. Thanks in advance for any help or advice provided, and hopefully as I become more familiar with these systems, I'll be able to reciprocate and provide help back to others. thanks...Daryl

Yes you can upload all the programs. The problem is you will have no comments at all so it might be a bit of an issue to try and troubleshoot. ControlLogix isn't so bad if they designed their tags to actually make sense. I have never used a serial cable on ControlLogix, just Ethernet.

Yes, you could do it if the last download to the processor was properly done. In RSLogix 500 you will have to choose CREATE A NEW FILE when prompted. RSLogix 5000 will do it also if there were no mishaps when the last download was performed.(It will create a new Project automatically). You will have to remember though that, if you do no have a copy of the development application, the UPLOAD procedure will return only the raw Data Table / Tag Database WITHOUT ANY DESCRIPTIONS, COMMENTS, CONFIGURED TRENDS, etc. ; the latter are not part of the processor memory but reside within software's application file ONLY. You might be able to do some "interpretation" on a Logix 5000 file with a tag database created by a professional; Logix 500 though will bring up addresses only... ...Not much you could do with it...Emergency backup only...

I think the fact that you lose the descriptions and comments if you dont have the program file has been discussed here. What has not been discussed is processor security. if the processor has been secured then you may not be able to access it for upload. There are several ways this can be done depending on the processor. The SLC's and micros can be password protected (fairly weak protection) and the deny future access bit can also be set. I'm not as familiar with the deny future access bit, but I dont think it will allow you to upload. On the logix there are three types of security that are stronger than the older platforms. You can lock the processor with password access. You can use the CPU security tool to secure the controller. Finally you can use source protection. It is fairly involved and will allow individual program files to be selectively protected. If the processor is protected with one of these methods, you may not be able to upload. I mention the security aspect as some contractors and OEM's will protect their processors with these methods.

You can also download and go online to monitor a running program.

Thanks for all the help folks. It is just a last resort, but it's something I've been asked to consider, very little chance, but you never know! Best be prepared. thanks again... Daryl