Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
russ3654

FX3U-485-BD/ FX3U-485-ADP-MB

3 posts in this topic

If I have a FX3U PLC with a FX3U-485-BD can I configure the PLC to communicate with a ABB invertor that has a Modbus/RTU module (FSCA-01), or would someone recommend installing the FX3U-485-ADP-MB instead. I also have a ENet module on the PLC with comms to a E1101 HMI.

The FX3U-xxx-BD does not have the Modbus protocol built-in. If you use GX IEC Developer, Mitsubishi/Beijer has developed function blocks to use with the BD card so you can just import these function blocks and start your Modbus communication at once. If you use GX Developer you will have to write your own Modbus master/slave for the BD card. The FX3U-xxx-ADP-MB card has tge Modbus protocol built-in, hence if you use GX Developer you can "just" enable the communication and everything will work (if you use GX IEC Developer, Mitsubishi/Beijer has also developed function blocks for these cards for easy set up).

Hi Russ, I dont have any experience withs Mits and the ABB Module but I did have the same module set up to talk Modbus over Eth to an ABB AC500 PM571 CPU and it would fall over every hour or two and require a restart, also had Red Lion G303 and G306 talking Modbus/Eth and no problem there. Connected the screen to the PM571 Modbus/eth and Screen to drives Modbus/RS485 and this worked okay. Spent many days with ABB personel with no resolution. I would be interested to know your results. Modbus should be plug and play today but not so.