Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mutabi

Communicating with PLC5 using 1761-CBL-PM02

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am trying to communicate with PLC 5 processors using the 1761-CBL-PM02 adaptor with the USB 1747-CP3 cable. However no matter what I do I cannot see any PLC5's. I can use just the cable and see SLCs just fine. I can also see Micrologixs. But have yet to be able to see any PLC 5's in RSLinx. Auto Configure works fine with the micrologix, but will not work when I am hooked up to a PLC 5. According to the website the adaptor should work with PLC 5s. "Supports Micrologix and PLC5 with adapter 9 pin Female connector on PLC side. (sold separately)" I assume the adaptor they are talking about is indeed the 1761-CBL-PM02 Are there any tricks to getting it working? Making a stupid mistake maybe? I have checked the com port that the USB cable uses (com 4) so that is set correctly in RSLinx. Thanks for any help in advance. John

John, For PLC5, you generally need a CP3 cable and a DB-9 to DB-25 adapter, you'll program through the 25 pin port. If you have the USB-CP3 cable, all you need is a DB-9 to DB-25. We have a few of those. Please PM me I might be able to hook you up.

Thanks for the response Chris. We are gonna look around and see if we have any DB-9 to DB-25 connectors. If not I will get with you. Would a male DB9 to DIN connector work(DH 485?) or am I confusing protocols? thanks for your help.

Which PLC5 do you have (PLC5/??) What port are you trying to use on the PLC5? FYI PLC5"s do not support DH485 and the round port on your PLC5 is a DH+ port. Edited by Mickey

You've made two incorrect assumptions, both of which are very understandable. A-B made compromises decades ago between using commercially available physical plug hardware and keeping proprietary network connections from being connected to general-purpose computers. PLC-5 "Classic" controllers (5/15, 5/25) have a 9-pin D-shell connector on the front that supports "PCL", a subset of Data Highway Plus. This often is confused for RS-232 because it is a DB9 connector. PLC-5 "Enhanced" controllers (5/20, 5/40, 5/80, etc, including ControlNet and Ethernet models) have a 25-pin RS-232/422 serial port. The purpose-specific cable is a 1784-CP10, but it is common to use a general-purpose 9/25 converter and a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 null modem cable. This is an ordinary RS-232 port, built when the IBM XT reigned supreme in the PC world. The round 8-pin "mini-DIN8" connector above Channel 1A of the DH+ port on Enhanced PLC-5 and on SLC-5/04 controllers is a DH+ local access port. Despite its similar appearance to PS-2, AppleTalk, or the serial port on MicroLogix controllers, it is only used for DH+. This sort of port confusion is common in the industrial world; it's not just Allen-Bradley. I have a device in front of me right now with five DB9 ports: RS-232, fieldbus, CANbus, current-loop, and I/O.