Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JDHammond

Control Logix Output Card

9 posts in this topic

I am adding on some new items to our existing Control Logix and have heard that you can add a card or swap cards while the processor is on and running. Is this true? Also, when I install my new output card do I have to do an I/O Configure on the PLC or is it done for you? Simple questions I know but im new to the Control Logix. Thanks!

Your post got me to thinking. I jsut fired up a 1756-A17 Rack with Power Supply and 1756-L64 CPU in my lab. Using version 17 I created a program and then while monitoring online plugged in several card. 1756-CFM, 1756-IA16 that I had laying atound. When plugged in the cards power cycle and end up flashing ok because they are not on the CLGX I/O tree. In Version 17 you can add them online, BUT, and it is a BIG BUT, There will be a warning screen that "online addition of modules can cause enexpected motion." If you can stop the system to add these modules to the I/O Tree I would advise that route. if not - I give a strong Caveat Emptor.

Yes you can replace/swap cards with processor running. I have never changed a I/O configuration while running the processor in production.I would assume you would have to change processor state after changing a i/o config. But if your just swapping a bad card out expect the dangers of those i/o's on that card. Processor should not fault. Expect production to be halted on config change.

I am actually adding a new output card. I am familiar with the SLC I/O config but not with the Control Logix. Where is the I/O config on the screen? Also BobLfoot, I am running version 15. Thanks!

at the very bottom of the Project Tree pane (movable - but usually docked on the left side) ... right-click the chassis "Backplane" and select "New Module" ... that should get you started ... but FIRST ! ... with the module already plugged in, you need to navigate to the module in RSLinx ... right-click the module there - and select Properties ... copy down the module Type (example: 1756-OA16/A) ... also the module's Revision (Example: 2.3) ... also make sure that you have the correct slot number (example: 6) ... secret handshake: you're going to have to enter those three pieces of information in order for the module to work correctly ... finally - I really and sincerely mean no offense, but if you're asking the questions above, you might want to carefully consider whether or not you should be trying all of this for the first time on a "must-keep-it-running" piece of machinery ... it's NOT difficult once you've done it a few times - but make sure that no one - or nothing - is going to be hurt if you miss something along the way ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

Thank you Ron! This PLC isn't connected to a "must keep it running machine". This PLC was way overkill for what it is being used for. It opens three valves that put solvents in a small 10 gallon tank. I was just asking because I heard that was one of the things the control logix could do, was be able to add cards while the PLC was (Hot). Most of the ones I have dealt with you was suppose to kill it before adding any cards. My issue is at my plant I have to be proficent with Mitsubishi Q06, FX, Allen Bradley Pico, Micro, SLC, Compact, and Control Logix, Siemens S5, Automation Direct 05's, 06's and so on. So I have my hands full sometimes. I have heard of you and would love to take some of your courses sometime down in Charleston! Thank you for your help!

you're quite welcome ... we're always glad to help on the forum - but sometimes we worry that maybe we're answering specific questions about HOW TO without making sure that people know WHEN TO - and more importantly when NOT to ... be safe ...

While you can hot swap Clogix cards, I always shy away from I/O cards that could potentially could have an electrical load on them such as output cards. While it is probably a remote possibility, a slight arc could damage the connection between the module and the wiring arm

1756 cards are designed with RIUP (removal and insertion under power). The pins are shorter (if you look carefully) for a reason...so that they engage with a slight time delay. There's also some details about wiring arm design. Call AB if you are at all worried because they've incorporated it into the design. Going to 24 VDC of course totally eliminates any chance of arcing, eliminates shock hazards, and reduces equipment damage significantly.