Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
barthautala

ML1100 / DataLogging Help

3 posts in this topic

Ok, please bear with me on this one. First, I can program a PLC but I am not a "programmer" by any means. Im going to set up a test bench using an ML1100. Its going to be set up in stages. The first stage will have the 1100 monitoring and recording temperature at set intervals throughout an hour long test. I want to log that data and then print that data once the test is complete. I'll have various conditions that will trigger certain lights on a stack light. This PLC will be hooked to a PC. The second stage will have the PLC doing some motion control and I'll have a panel view for the operator to set up test conditions for the test bench. anyways, Im in the first stage. Ive never data logged with a PLC before but I think I have the triggers figured out. Question is, how can I get that data to automatically print without an operator having to touch a PC mouse? Also, can the logger software log the data to a spreadsheet that already has some fields filled out? IN other words I want the logger to put the data on a spreadsheet that has some areas for an operator to fill out his name and serial number of unit being tested. Is this possible?

In most cases like this, there might be several options depending on how much money you want to spend. Some guys set up what is called a DDE link between your ML1100 and an Excel Spreadsheet. You'll need something better than RS Linx Lite to do DDE however. There are some spreadsheet examples in the downloads area. Another way would be to purchase a datalogger, like a Red Lion datalogger for about $400. It works pretty good. Another way I can think of if you have a Panel View PLUS, you can connect a printer to the HMI, and I think you can trigger some prints through the HMI and the printer port. Not sure about that automatic print or not though off the top of my head. So which way do would you like to go? Do you have a budget for this data logging project?

I second using the Red Lion as a data logger. I do this all the time