Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike_Patton

Com port conflict

5 posts in this topic

I have been using Factory Talk Machine Edition to download an application to a PV+ terminal via RS323 serial link from my PC. Now my Com1 port on my PC is captured and can't use RS Logics to program or monitor my PLC. Can anyone help

Mike - I'm busy and can't tell you the process names but Rslinx enterprise probably is running and has the com port grabbed, thus the problem when rslinx classic tries to grab it. Check you process manager of rockwells knowledgebase and you'll find the process to kill to keep enterprise from momopolizing the com port.

Thanks for that. I'll check this out tomorrow. BR, Mike

Serial ports really are not share friendly. Once an application is up and running it "owns" that port. You need to either have the application release the port or shutdown the application. I see two options: (1) Set RSLinx Classic and/or RSLinx Enterprise to run as a service in Manual mode Both RSLinx Classic (RSLogix programming) and RSLinx Enterprise (FactoryTalk View) run as a Windows service. In the control panel, admin tools, services you can find both of those services. Set either or both to manual. When your computer starts up, neither will run until requested. Use that same Windows services panel to stop the service when you are done using it. (2) Remove the serial (DF1) driver from either RSLinx Classic or RSLinx Enterprise Considering that you want to use RSLinx Classic, open up FTView Studio, right-click the serial driver in the communications tab, and remove the driver. You can add it back later if you need to. You may want to consider using ethernet for PV+ downloads, or a CompactFlash card to transfer runtime files. Ethernet can be either in a network situation (router, switch) or direct connect with an ethernet flip cable. Those are faster options and do not require sole control of the communications (such as the case with the serial port).

RSLinxNG.exe is the process name for RSLinx Enterprise. You can terminate the process manually, but that's just a band-aid. I recommend opening FactoryTalk View Studio and deleting the DF1 driver in RSLinx Enterprise, so that it will not start up and will not interfere with the ability of RSLinx Classic to run its driver on your computer's RS-232 port.