Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_P

Problem with CP1L-L-14 and NT21

11 posts in this topic

I have a small project where a CP1L-L-14 is communicating with a NT21 screen via NT-Link 1:N method. A problem exists when I try to display anything from the data memory area from D32000 up to the end. Specifically, I need to display something from address D32700. According to the CP1L specs, the area from D32000 to D32767 is free to use. (I am aware that D10000 to D31999 is not available on this model.) For example, a simple 'Numeral display' of D32700 results in an 'Addressing error' displayed on the NT. Addresses at lower range of D0 to D9999 work without problem. Loading the same program into a CP1L-M PLC works ok with the same screen. Also, CX-Programmer can interrogate/modify these addresses with no problem. All my tests indicate this is a problem with this specific model of PLC, and possibly with the NT Link communications hardware/firmware/something else within the PLC. At this time, my local Omron tech support cannot give me any answer, other than to try and use the latest version of NT Support tool (V4.82). As I expected, this had no effect. Has anybody else encountered this, or can confirm this is a bug in the PLC? Using: CP1L-L-14 V1.0 NT21-ST121-E V1.03 Thanks.

I doubt that the NT21 will be able to connect to any DM above 9999 in any Omron PLC. The N21 was designed ~ 10 years ago, and at that time there were no PLCs with DMs above 9999, so I don't think the NT Link protocol in the NT21 will support high DMs. You also probably cannot access the W area in the PLC. Same issue. 10 years ago, there weas no W area. I would consider the NT21 an older product. There are plenty of other Omron touchscreens that could address the areas above D9999, the W area, etc. The NS, NV, NP series would all be capable. What data are you trying to access in the DM30,000 + area? Easy Modbus by any chance? If so, can you copy data from a lower memory area into and out of the D30,000 area?

Are you using Easy Modbus Master in the CP1l-L? Could you have accidentally set up the DMs at 32000 to Easy Modbus Master? I am not sure about what I am saying, but it could be coincidental. I bow to our resident expert on serial communications PMCR for a clarification. Edit: Ok, you beat me to the punch. But he says that the screen works OK with CP1L-M. Also, VO69-E1-2 says that NT21 can access the full range of DMs in CS/CJ.

Jay You are correct. Taking a look in the manual, it appears as though the newer models should be able to access the higher DMs, as well as the W area, etc. The model that Andy_P has may require a newer 'firmware' be loaded.

Thanks for the replies. @Jay: I am not using memory in the region allocated for Modbus, nor am I using Modbus. @PMCR: I can currently use the area successfully with CP1L-M and CJ1M PLC's. You mention loading new 'firmware'. Do you mean the firmware in the PLC or the screen? (Is it possible for an end user to update the firmware in the PLC?) The only reason I am using this area is to store/display some rarely changing parameters in my programs, and it has not been a problem until now. It just seemed a good idea to put them up there out of the way. It would be a trivial thing to reprogram and use another address of course, but I am just a bit curious/concerned if there are any other underlying issues waiting to bite me later on. At the moment, it is a minor annoyance as it would mean moving a few things to different addresses which would make it a bit non-standard to a the rest of our equipment. If any of you guys feel like trying to replicate this issue with your own hardware, I would be curious to see if you have the same result. Thanks!

Andy_PSorry about that. I was obviously way off on my first post.I took a look, and I do not have an NT21, and my 2 NT31Cs (which should function the same as a 21) are out on loan.I was referring to loading an updated 'system' in the NT. Not possible in PLC. Edited by PMCR

No prob. I have had this issue being looked at by Omron tech support here in UK about a week now, with no reply as yet, other than 'It is being looked at in Japan'. I like to give the tech support guys proper problems to deal with.

Anybody else replicate this issue?

Trying to duplicate your problem: Using the following: CS1G-CPU43 NT631C-ST141-EV2 Version 3.13 and also on a NT21-ST121-E V1.03 NTST Support Tool V4.7 Communicating with the PLC on port B, NT Link 1:N, high speed I can write from the PLC to the either NT using DM32700. The NT631C and the NT21 displays the value correctly. Hope this helps Edited by bluebyu

@bluebyu Thanks for trying this with your kit and confirming it works. I am hoping someone can try with the specific kit I have: CP1L-L-14 & NT21. Thanks.

I have had word from Omron that this is indeed a bug, and it has been passed back to development "to explain/correct the problem". I have also been advised to use alternative addresses between D0 and D9999 and no other issues exist that they (Omron UK tech support) are aware of. So there you go! Hope that may help someone out.