Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duane

1798 FlexArmor Phased Out.

4 posts in this topic

Hi All, We currently have a machine with 3 nodes of 1798 FlexArmor. We are told by the OEM that they will no longer be able to supply nor will AB, any replacement modules. 1. Does this apply only for FlexArmor not Flex I/O, also on the DeviceNet. 2. What are the upgrade options? 3. Do we stick with AB or not? IFM Ozzy? Has anyone done this type of upgrade yet? 4. This is a ControlLogics With DeviceNet Soda Packaging Machine. Thanks in advance for your time. Duane

Last day of the general sale of 1798 Flexarmor was 4-1/2 years ago. see http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app...tail/a_id/50919 1794 Flex I/O is available; I'm commissioning a new machine utilizing it.

The newer "armor" families are based on the Point IO stuff such as ArmorBlock. Not 100% compatible with FlexArmor but it depends on your form factors and such. I highly doubt AB is walking away from the Flex IO family any time soon. Seems like they have a bunch of strange families based around Point IO, Flex, and then chassis-based. The various Point IO and CompactXXX families make me nervous because they seem to have so many that product consolidated will probably come around eventually. However, it's obvious that Point and Point Block IO is specifically placed to compete directly against Siemens Profibus and similar products and thus probably has good longevity as well. ArmorPoint/ArmorBlock stuff especially the Ethernet/IP family probably has longevity since it just got introduced in the last year or two.

Thanks all for the reply, After talking to our parts guy, I'm a 3rd shifter kept in the dark, I realize that we have been buying these parts from the OEM and their parts are now depleated. Hence the letter that we will no longer be able to buy them. I think after looking, that the ArmorBlock doesn't look that much different from the FlexArmor. We will check with our AB rep and have to bone up on our RSNetWorks to get these installed, configured and running. Thanks Again Duane at the bottling plant.