Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geir

Overview of Omron functions

5 posts in this topic

Hi, at our school we have several generations of OMRON PLCs from C200, CQM to CJ1 (and some even older tucked away in the attic). Is there an overview of which commands and functions one can use on the various CPUs, or will I have to dig it out from the various manuals?

Welcome to the forum. I am not aware of one document that covers what you ask. Each manual has a list of all instructions in the appendix, it is very concise very compact, limited description. As C200 is not concise enough, ie; is it a C200H, or a C200HX? they have similar, yet different instruction sets, I think the manual is the best bet. Generally speaking the newer processor contains the most instructions, including virtually all instructions the oldest contains. If you are trying to pick a PLC to use for learning or teaching, pick the CJ1, it's the newest in your list. Hope this helps

Thanks, I had a suspicion that might be the case, but was hoping somebody had compiled their own list :) For general PLC training we have approx 15 CJ1Ms with CPU versions from 1 to 4.0, the basic class are transferring from CPM to CP1L at the moment. The problem is most of our process training plants that have C200 'H, 'HS, HE and CQM1 CPUs. At present, I am trying to figure out if the best option is to change the C200 CPUs to CS1, or change the lot to CJ1 series. We are, however on a limited budget, so it may take a while... On the other hand, it it might be good for my students to experience that not all PLCs are equal, even if they have the same label :)

When you select the PLC type in CX-P and try to insert a function the drop down function block, I believe, will only show the functions available for that particular PLC.

Yes there are many CPU but you can simplify it: One set of instruction and system flags for your C200, CQM1, CJ1 and one for the new series : CS1, CP1_, CJ1.. Not all instructions are available for all CPU but as Bob said, CXP wont offer you an instruction that is not available for the PLC you have in your project. Just an idea but this could be a good homework for your students to "dig it out" as you said....