Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duffanator

Loadcells and Q-series PLC's

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, I'm getting a project together to do a sortation line and I want to do the weighing via the Q-series PLC I'm installing. Does anyone know what the best A/D card to use for getting a millivolt signal from a loadcell? The loadcell will be a Weigh-Tronix 100# load brick at 2 mV/V. Thanks!

Theoretically you could use Q64AD-GH for this purpose. But really is more right to connect this weight-sensor to PLC via the special tenso-converter, because you need the power supply source with high precision and the better to use AC-mode of supply/measuring. The tenso-converter may be equipped with an analog output (an example, 0-10V or 4-20 mA) or with RS-interface (such as RS232 or RS485).

Did you look into the Q61LD load cell interface module? Manuals are available at www.meau.com in Downloads. Or from the various overseas support locations.

It's an interesting information

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed. It even does averaging for in motion systems! I didn't know that module even existed, that's why I come here to ask questions Thanks Crossbow! Inntele, I did think about an external converter as well. I've done that before but I wanted to know if it was possible to go directly to the PLC. Apparently it is Thank you for the reply.

This module we expected still from 2002 and constantly explained to Mitsubishi that it is necessary. Q61LD is just announced, so I'm think it might be available in market no earlier than six months.

Crossbow, do you know if there is a configurator for this module, or is it too new?

The Q61LD is an interesting addition to the Mitsubishi plc range. I think it's already available in Europe but don't know about the US. About configuration, i'm quite sure it can be configured in gx works 2 (as a intelligent function module) because i've tinkered with the settings at some point. Don't know about gx dev and iec though.

The manuals were posted on the US side for a month ago, and that only happens once a product is released.

Base from my experience using loadcells, i will normally buy the weighing controller n commnicate using the free fall, zero, batch end & tare i/o with the plc. Let the controller handles the loadcells n weighing control..

FYI: The Q61LD module is Awesome!. From my initial testing it is way more accurate than the Weigh-tronix 127 scale head that was installed and the auto-zero feature works very nicely. The "filtering" (it's called averaging in the module literature) options are many and varied. You can dial the filtering in easily with just a little tweaking. I'm very impressed. The scale head that was there fluctuated a lot while the scale motor was running but with a little tweaking on this module it's rock solid. The manual isn't as straight forward as it could be, but that's a minor quibble. Another quality Mitsubishi product!

Duffanator, I have a customer that I'm currently trying to transition from A1s series to Q. They have a load cell (laundry bags 50-100lbs.) that currently requires a millivolt to 4-20ma converter. This Q61LD sounds perfect but I notice it is not stock here in the US. How long did you have to wait to get yours from time of order? Thanks!

I got mine in 3 days. Apparently there was one in stock here and I needed it quickly so I told our Mitsubishi rep that I needed it. I'm not sure how long it will take to get another one in from out of the country. I told our Mitsubishi rep that we will need at least one more for stocking purposes, so there should be more coming. He also said he was going to look into when this will be a stocked item for them too but I haven't heard back from him yet. It is much more accurate than a 4-20 mA signal from a converter. I would definatly look into it. I was very impressed with the module and I'll definatly use it again on another project.