Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECSI

View New Posts vs View Unread Posts

9 posts in this topic

Didn't we at one time have a "View Unread Posts" link here? The "View New Posts" can be useful sometimes but it doesn't give me a complete list of unread posts. I don't get much time on the forums anymore but when I do I like to see the unread posts in one place. I thought we had this option before. just askin'

hmm..ok let me check into that. I think I see and understand your logic.

Just to explain a little more: If I go to MrPLC tonight and click View New Posts I see 8 new posts. If I only get a chance to read 1 of them and then leave MrPLC, the next time I come back, the other 7 will not show up in the list again. I may be dreaming but I thought at one time we had the View Unread Posts option, where each new post remains on the list until I either read them or mark the forums as read.

yes I did that today as well for the first time. Normally I click View New posts, but I read them all. I've done this for years. But your right, if you don't read them all. View New Posts is tied to your last visit. I can see the sense here. We did not have anything like that before in previous board versions that I recall, I know we do alot of modifications and sometimes we don't get a modification back when we do an major upgrade but I am pretty sure I don't remember a suggestion like this. I think it's valid. I'll have to research and write some code to make it happen and give a choice maybe how you want to view the topics. Chris Elston

Do we want newest posts? Or Newest topics? A Newest Topics would look like what is on the front page. www.mrplc.com

View new posts since last visit | View unread topics | View unread posts

Exactly what we need PdL!

Ok I've done alot of checking on this and looking. The current version 2 database doesn't support this without alot of modifications. Turns out database version 3. DOES however support this. The new post DO SHOW UP if you visit each forum, you can see the icons on the left to tell you that you have not read that post. But to bring that all into a single search, not easy with current 2.3 database. I haven't decided yet if we want to upgrade MrPLC to database 3.0 because then we have to upgrade alot of other things....PHP, Apache, and the list goes on and on... I'll see if I want to make this one of my weekend projects when I get some time to do some custom coding.

I don't want to add to your workload Chris. Things are fine the way they are. I can handle the extra clicking around in the forums..lol. If you ever do go ahead with the upgrade then maybe you can implement it then. Thanks for looking into it.