Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PdL

How to get a FB instance/definition overview

7 posts in this topic

My colleague turned to me to ask which CPU to select for a project. I took an old program and fiddled a bit with the FB instances until it about matches the project, deleted unused instances etc, compiled and now it is giving 8 complile errors "Too many instances". The selected CPU is CJ1M-CPU13, which capacity should be 128 definitions and 256 instances. I have 58 instances in my symbol list, and if I count in the nested ones with duplicated instance names the total comes down to 100 at most.... or I am missing a lot of nested FB which I cannot imagine. So, I was wondering if there is any overview available that counts the instances and definitions?? It almost looks as if the memory isn't cleaned up after the copying and pasting although I deleted the instances and compiled the project.... FYI using CXP v8.2.

pdl, I tried a few things and may have an idea. Did you delete the FB instance under the global symbols table. It seems the memory area will stay claimed by the function block till you do this. I hope it is that easy!

Thanks but I tried that already. I always just simply select all instances in the global table and press delete as part of my routine besides removing local symbols as a result of typo's. If there are any unused instances they will be removed and I expect the count to be adjusted accordingly. When I created a new PLC and just copied the definitions and instances, all was ok. It looks like a lot of FB isntance editing can "fool" the compiler somehow. It has happened a few times before as well therefore I was looking for a way to check the number of instances CXP counts and to verify if it matched what was actually declared.

If you look in the 'Memory View', does it agree with the complier? If you want to send the file to me (PM), I can take a look at it.

The memory view counts the number of defnitions, not the number of instances. And that is where I suspect CXP miscounted at some point. I will see if I can reproduce on my colleagues machine and send it by PM.

Sorry for the delayed response - just got back from holiday Have you seen the "FB Instance Viewer"? Press Alt-5 (or View->Windows->FB Instance Viewer) which sounds like it should give exactly the view you want.

Bertie, please do not take holidays anymore