Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skidog

Old omron comms without a seriel port

12 posts in this topic

The Inspiron 2600 laptop from Dell comes with XP pro but does not come with a seriel port. My question is simply this, how do I communicate with Omron C200H/CVM1-CPU11&CPU21 SERIES PLC's without a seriel port? I read somewhere else a USB-seriel converter will not work for this. Our new systems are coming in with CS1G's so they won't be a problem to talk to. I still have my old laptop and from the looks of things I may have to keep it a while. I'm sure the guys at Omron are all over this and probably have a solution for it which I'm not yet aware of. I thought I would post this here because it may affect a lot of us at some point, if your lucky enough to get a new 'puter like myself. :-p

There are currently issues with the Cx-Programmer software for USB connections.  Omron reports that the release of CX-Programmer V3.1 will address this issue. Have you tried Syswin 3.4?  It seems to work fine with USB connections.     http://www.isa.uniovi.es/%7Ealonsog/Software/SysWin34.zip

I've never used Syswin before but I'll give it a go. Do I need to purchase a registered copy to get this version to work?

Without a license number, this software will install for use wiith small PLCs only.   How do you communicate to the CS1 PLCs?  

Our new systems with the CS1G's are still in the acceptance phase and won't turned over to us for a couple of weeks. I hope to have everything I need for communications in place by then. I have to divide my time between reading PDF files, fiddling with CX-Programmer and answering service calls so it's slow going for the moment. I will continue post my progress here, after all, that's what makes these forums so great.  

Will Syswin work with any USB-seriel converter cable? Does Omron make a special cable for this? Will the Braves finally win a world series this year?  :-p

Things were slow for a change tonight so I had time to check out the new gear. Turns out the CS1's communicate through a seriel port on the front, which is contrary to what I had been told. I'll wait for my seriel/USB cord to come in and see how it goes using Syswin. The plot thickens... :-p

I have been using the CS1 ever since it came out. Therefore, have also been using Cx-Programmer for yonks. Had an old HP that worked fine. Bought a new HP XE3 with USB serial port. Great laptop. The dang thing also has an internal modem. Cx-Programmer could not find the serial port. Kept trying to grab the modem as the serial port. Disable the modem and all is well. Cx-Programmer works just fine. I use toolbus for comms as Cx auto configures comms speed to the CS1, Alpha and later PLC's at 155kbaud. Also, normally have multiple PLCs via Controller Link, usually 5 to 9 PLCs. My only complaint is that I have found verification errors with Cx version 2 and on one site had problems with Cx and Sysmac Link (SLK) to 9 PLCs from a computer. The computer is also running Citect through the FINS Gateway driver (older version). Cx garbaged a section of programme in a C200HS. The problem was Cx will not let you delete a garbaged rung online. Thank the lord I had Syswin on a laptop with me. I was able to delete the garbaged rungs. Could not turn the PLC offline to download as it is the master PLC running a 14 megawatt 11kV power station with 6 diesel generators. Syswin does not support the CS1 and CJ1 PLCs. Have not had time to try the latest version of Cx on a network yet, although Omron have thankfully fixed the printing function. Hope they have also fixed Cx to allow deletion of garbaged rungs online. The latest Citect FINS Gateway driver appears to be much better than the previous version. The Gateway also has new features.

Apologies for the error. Cx-Programmer auto configures Toolbus to 115Kbaud. 155K?????? I wish. Also, the support of USB serial ports is not really an Omron software function but rather a Windows function. (Warning!!!!! It is a Microsoft product.) Does the Dell not come with a USB/serial converter as standard? A bit slack of Dell. If it has a modem try disabling it.

Serial to USB works for me while communicating to one PLC at a time. Anymore than that causes comm failure. I have a Black Box converter.

That's a bit of a pain in the A***. I use a Wiretek brand and it works OK but do not know if you have that brand over there. The best option is probably to buy a PCMCIA to serial converter from BB-Electronics. They look very good.

i think i still cannot send the circuit to the plc with syswin.. using usb to serial too..