Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patb63

Simulation Software

10 posts in this topic

Let me start off by saying two things: 1) This is a great place to go and get information for dealing with automation and controls. I feel like a mooch because I am always asking questions and am always late getting to answer any. 2) If the following question is not acceptable for this forum, please move it to the appropriate one. My company does control software solutions for warehousing and distribution centers (mostly), including some big-name retail companies. Our products not only control the conveyors themselves, but the interface between the PLC and WMS systems. We are constantly striving to improve our control systems to handle faster and more elaborate sortation and conveying systems. One of the issues we are facing is to realistically simulate some of our control schemes without having to purchase actual conveyor systems, including servos, diverters, etc., to test them on. Does anyone here have any experience with simulation software? We would like to have something set up where we could write our PLC code and graphically test the results of logic changes we make. I know Rockwell has a product called Arena, but I'm not sure whether it is process, or equipment oriented. As always, thanks for any insights you might have. Pat

You don't need to buy expensive simulation anything....All you need to do (if using Allen Bradley) is create a rountine and call it simulate. Inhibit all of your I/O modules , except for the ethernet or course since you want to test the MMI. Go to your simulate routine you created and don't forget to add it to you main routine as a JSR. Add a rung, and make your first real output, an input on that rung. Then for the output of that rung, create the the real I/O addresses for that input. For example, If real input X turns on real output Y, then in your simulate code, you would program real output address Y turning on real input X. This will work as long as you inhibit your I/O and you add the simulate routine to your main program usually 2. I use this method all of the time, with Contrologix, SLC500's and PLC5's...Other PLC manufacturer's have simulation modes you can toggle the code through by clicking on a button, but not AB. Hope this helps Edited by jimdi4

jimdi4, Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try your suggested method of simulationg the I/O. What we're really interested in doing is simulating the "real world" effect of logic changes by observing speed changes, carton diverting, carton merging, etc. in a graphical environment. pat

Oh Yeah, I almost forgot, don't forget to delete the routine before the equipment ships or you'll have al kinds of problems...I usually have a habit of disconecting the battery after I tested the panel at the panel shop....prior to shipment... Edited by jimdi4

I've done the same thing as jimdi4. You can add as much logic as you need to get it to act like you process. I generally use timers to reproduce the real world delays. As to the graphical environment, you can add windows to your HMI to allow you to monkey with the simulation parameters. I use a popup window that I can move out of the way if I need too. I have also done some simulation in the HMI. Namely Wonderware Intouch scripts. If you have any more questions, please ask.

Hi All, Greeting I am using different types of simulations for lot of my projects. If you have to use AB-Rockwell PLC's please refre below:The simulator ie Emulate package you need to install seprately. PLC 5 -------------------------------------->RSEmulate 5 ----------------->PLC5-(DH+)Emulator Driver. SLC500 -------------------------------------->RSEmulate 500 --- ---------->SLC500-(DH485)Emulator Driver. ControlLogix,Compact Logix,Softlogix------>RSEmulate 5000/SoftLogix5800---->VirtualBackplane Driver. Recently i tried Produced & Consumed tags for Inter processor communication is suported by RSEmulate 5000/SoftLogix5800. In control logix case I/O..you need to inhibit module.If you have logic program you can make a copy with base tags only and test the same. Well , For Siemense products you can use PLC simmulator along with Sematic maneger,(Applicable for S7-300/400)PLC series only. Also , GX-Developer (Mitsubishi) has its inbuilt simulator . Good Luck, Tushar

I like RSVew32 for this purpose. You can graphically create and animate almost anything with it, once you get used to the graphics editor. Then you can map your tags to real PLC tags (or RSLogix Emulate) and test things. Paul

Thanks to all for responding. As usual, I guess I haven't made myself clear. We use RSView 32, Wonderware and other software for HMI screens to show our customers what parts of their system is running, etc. What I'm looking for is something that will actually simulate carton flow, conveyor speeds, etc. from the logic that's been written.

Hi, You can try the WinMOD Real-time Simulation System: You connect your PLC-IOs to WinMOD, there you simulate your drives, sensors, other devices, etc. An add-on supports simulating logistics systems with 3D, so you can see your cartons moving on the conveyors, merging, distributing, queuing, etc. You can even simulate the PLCs and connect the WMS-IOs directly to WinMOD. Everything that happens loops through the real controller IOs and you can see it in 3D. It comes very close to reality. Cornelius

It doesn't work that way. In some of the more recent controls theory, especially state-space loop controls, the process is to develop a series of state-space equations that model the real world. Then you design your control system to give a slightly overdamped response. The response is of course the inverse of the real world model but it is slightly detuned (overdamped) so that it doesn't overshoot/undershoot too severely. All well and good for things like lathes, drill presses, and actuators. But almost utterly useless for discrete I/O where a series of timers and some very simple logic would be far more appropriate. Also, I do NOT recommend deleting the simulator. It becomes "training mode". To train an operator, switch to simulation mode and let them practice with the real world control system, even though the physical system never moves.