Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesperMP

Does there exist wiring adapters, PLC5-CLX ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi there. This thread gave me a thought about how to practically upgrade an existing plant with PLC5 or SLC500 to ControlLogix or CompactLogix. I know that it is possible to a certain degree to hook up PLC5 racks and SLC500 racks as RIO to a ControlLogix. But I want to replace the old PLC completely, I dont want to reuse the hardware. The problem is the time required for a full rewiring will be longer than is available. Max 3 days for rewiring and test before going into full production again. So, I was wondering if AB or a 3rd party manufacture a wiring adapter, so you can take a terminal strip from a PLC5 or SLC500, and connect it directly to a ControlLogix. Not only would such an adapter cut down on the time for the switch, but you could test the new system in steps, everytime going back to the old system, until the new system works satisfactorily. Edited by JesperMP

I can't way I've seen any such thing. The best approach I've seen starts with PLC 5, repalces the CPU with 1771-ACN and a four slot clgx with CPU, ENET and CNB cards. The ControlLogix can be phased in rolling back to the PLC 5 until all is up and running. Then you repalce the 1771 racks with 1756 racks one at a time.

HI, I have seen such a wiring device in a recent e-mail. I don't have the pictures on this PC, so I can't post them right now. Basically the e-mail was from our engineering group & it said that the newly developed wiring arm adapter would be available in the spring of 2009. There is a shallow frame work of metal that holds the old 1770 wiring swing arms. Attached to the lower part of the old swing arm is an adapter that accepts a pre-made cable. The other end of this pre-made cable terminates on a CLX I/O module's terminal strip. The entire CLX chassis then bolts on top of the metal framework mentioned previously. Personally I think I would prefer to re-wire the I/O. The wires usually just run a few feet out to a terminal strip anyway. BD

Hi BD. I am interested in knowing where you got the adapter from. A full exchange of old for new incl rewiring, is both more economical and 'neater' in the long run. However, the time is simply not available in some cases, and the ability to connect the old and new when it suits best will be a real advantage too.

Nice photo BD. :) So the CLX chassis is then mounted on the frame, where some mounting lugs can be seen in the photo ? If that is so, the wires going into the PLC5 terminal blocks will be hidden behind the CLX chassis. Hmmm... That will be a nuisance if you need to access those wires. Even so, it could be useful. edit: Does the CLX chassis swing upwards or something ? Does there exist something for SLC500 ? Edited by JesperMP

Nice Picture BD. How well does it work when the 1771-swing arms are from 16pt ac modules and the each swing arm has 18-16ga stranded wires streaming down from it. It looks to me like the 1771 wires and the grey cables will be fighting each other for space.

Guys, I have not used any of these. I don't think anyone else has either because the product is probably still under development. It should be out on the market soon though. I hope I don't get in trouble for posting the pictures before it is ready to go. Back when most of the 1771 hardware was installed in the 80s & 90s most people used the 16 AWG wire. That makes a stiff bundle after 18 to 20 are tied together. If you have everything on one 10 amp fuse, you don't have much choice. BD

Interesting.... I would prefer to see the system rewired to the logix, but I do know my clients... Gotta have it up now! Russell

It does look like the CLX chassis can swing upwards. How about SLC500 to CLX or compactlogix ? A special SLC500 adapter-connector should fit in the area available in a CLX slot.

Hi, I haven't seen any SLC500 or Compact adapter hardware. BD